Free lead for reloaders

Another issue we had with the cool weather smelting is when the level in the propane bottle got low the flame reduced. Shaking the bottle would make the flame start roaring again. I don't know if we would experience this in warm weather or not.

You need to go to a bigger tank. A 100lb tank would not do this with your load. This is a common problem. People think their tank is empty but it's just frozen (so to speak). The propane in liquid form can't convert to vapor fast enough in cold weather for the load. You can also get a manifold and switch back and fourth between two 20lb tanks. Or switch the hose back and fourth. Or run a T hose so you can run 2--20lb tanks at the same time.

Also seen in an edge of the video is the MEGA smelting pot (aka beer keg pot) but I noticed that you guys didn't use it for the actual smelting.
Has it been broken in yet???

I figured the dross wouldn't hurt it any, and it was a good thing too, by the time we were done it was full up with dross and jackets.

Ziptar put a KAB6 on his Christmas list. I'm thinking about ordering one also. The 22" diameter should easily handle those 16" pots. It appears to me that the only difference between the KAB4 and the KAB6 is the strength of the legs but for filling up a large pot with lead I guess we should spend the extra for the heavy duty legs.

I did but, barring that I'll buy one after Christmas. Right now the best price I've found is $99.00 plus shipping from bayouclassicdepot.com, maybe I can pick one up a little cheaper on an after Christmas sale. Also going to keep my eye out for some steel to add a wind screen and help put the heat where it should go. Something like this.
14733d1266517007-shroud-windscreen-kab6-banjo-burner-shroud.jpg or this IMG_3783.JPG

Hopefully I'll find something suitable in a pile the next time I take some brass down to scrap it. If not there them maybe take a run up to Lowell Iron & Steel. If you were able to weld one up I suppose you could make your own heavy duty frame but, buying the burner, regulator, hose, and orifice seperatley adds up to $94.00 so it like getting the heavy duty stand for free.

sffar bought one when it was on sale a couple weeks ago. maybe hell chime in here with a mini review or comment on how well the MEGA smelting pot fits on it.

You need to go to a bigger tank. A 100lb tank would not do this with your load. This is a common problem. People think their tank is empty but it's just frozen (so to speak). The propane in liquid form can't convert to vapor fast enough in cold weather for the load. You can also get a manifold and switch back and fourth between two 20lb tanks. Or switch the hose back and fourth. Or run a T hose so you can run 2--20lb tanks at the same time.

Or put the 20lb tank in a tub of warm / hot water. For teh larger burners two 20lb tanks might be the way to go. Zoeller Forge sells a Twin Tank manifold kit for $20.00 but, it looks like it could be replicated easily enough with parts from a local hardware store.
tanks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom