Free lead for reloaders

JackO

Instructor
I'd like to offer free lead for fellow NESers. MIT Pistol & Rifle Club (Cambridge, MA) is cleaning lead from the bullet traps on our range. The range is mostly used for 22 caliber shooting, so there is very little copper jackets in this lead, I would estimate that 99% of all shooting at this range is just 22.

The range is equipped with 15 very nice bullet traps, so taking out the lead is relatively simple. We are planning on starting the job this coming Sunday, 5/30/10.

If you are interested in getting some lead, pleas send me a PM, and I will be glad to discuss the details with you.

Last edited:
I wish I lived closer!

Great opportunity for those in that area to get some pure lead.

Thanks for offering, JackO!

To those who do go, I am urging you to bring respirators. There's likely to be lead DUST floating around, and you don't want to breathe that in. Gloves are also a necessity.

Just for reference, Stuart from Weaponcraft and I emptied the range from a local PD (6 lanes) in just under two hours, yielding 600 pounds of raw materials, which yielded ~ 250 pounds of clean pure lead ingots.

So, with 15 bullet traps, it should be pretty good!

Let us know how that goes.

Oh.... bring plenty of 5 gallon buckets (only fill them 1/2 way), and a sturdy hand truck.

Hope that you have also been saving the brass from the .22's. Those make excellent JACKETS for .223 ammo:

Part 1
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76753
Part 2
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76764

Gunstock015.jpg

anyone from the south shore going up. Illl pay your gas for a bucket....I just cxant make it.

Folks,

I've got a lot of people interested. I'm sure, we'll have a lot of lead coming from 15 bullet traps, so there will be enough lead for all people who PM'ed me. Here is some update.

We just had a meeting with club members who volunteered to do the job. The schedule was changed, we'll start the clean up job next Tuesday, June 1, evening. We'll collect lead from several bullet traps, and place it in the plastic buckets. Depending on how easy or difficult it would be, we might ask for some help, or just clean up the traps ourself, and offer the lead collected in the buckets.

I will update you all on Wednesday, June 2. Again, if we don't need any help, you'll be able just to come in to Cambridge, and pick up some lead. If the job will be too time consuming, we might ask for some help - come to the range and help collecting the lead.

I am starting my new job Tues. AM, not sure what time I get finished. At that point I may not make it in to help out.

Recently found out that another of the local P.D.'s hired a lead abatement team (at CONSIDERABLE COST) to come in and remove the lead from their range. Stuart and I offered to do it for free next time. We got a wink and a nod. It's a simple and safe process, requiring only a respirator, a shovel, gloves, and some buckets. A broom sweep when you are done. Simple, easy, free lead!

Check with your local Police Department, and see if they have an indoor shooting range that you could clean. Most of them clean them out every six months.

Free lead at MIT range: update

We opened up some bullet traps and found a lot of lead piled up in the traps, and also on the sides outside of the traps. Lead is very easy to scoop or push/pull with a simple small garden rake or small shovel. Using simple wooden guides, it's easy to push the lead in the buckets under the traps.

I plan on main lead clean up job being done this coming Sunday, 06/06/10. We'll start around 10am. I sent messages to all NESers who PM'ed me about lead. If you can spare an hour or two this Sunday, you will have plenty of lead. We will provide all the tools and protective equipment, but you would need to collect the lead.

If you are interested in coming in, please send me a PM, and I will provide all the details. The range is located in Cambridge, close to the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. and Vassar St.

Last edited:
Check this out from the most recent NEWSLETTER for the Scarborough Fish and Game Association (my club, which doesn't allow mining for lead from the berms):

Lead Reclamation Project: The following recommendations were made by the committee for the lead to be cleaned up on the competition pistol range, the rental range and utility ranges 1, 2 & 4. It is recommended that after initial clean up maintenance will need to be done every 2 to 3 years. A motion was made to allow the Board of Directors to address the lead issues providing funds up to $40,000 utilizing local contractors. Motion was passed with none opposed.

Lead Reclamation Project: The following recommendations were made by the committee for the lead to be cleaned up on the competition pistol range, the rental range and utility ranges 1, 2 & 4. It is recommended that after initial clean up maintenance will need to be done every 2 to 3 years. A motion was made to allow the Board of Directors to address the lead issues providing funds up to $40,000 utilizing local contractors. Motion was passed with none opposed.

So Duke what are you going to do with your $40,000? [laugh]

Folks,
Everybody who is planning on coming to MIT range this Sunday, please let me know ASAP, as I need to know the exact head counts to plan for the proper protective clothing, equipment, tools, etc. Again, please send me a PM if you are coming. Your cell phone number would be very helpful in case there are any last minute changes.

Closing the lead offer

Guys,

I had an overwelming response from people offering help to clean up our range ;-)
To be fair, and offer some reasonable amount of lead to each person, I have to stop taking any more requests.

Here is the list of people who responded to my offer (in the order I have reseived PM's), and will participate in the lead collection at MIT range this Sunday:

1. Marcus5aurelius
2. Fixxah
3. DTR
4. Patriot
5. Ziptar
6. Dave_W
7. Bob J

I tank you very much for your generous offer to do our work for us [smile], and will see you all on Sunday 10am. In case you can't come to the range for any reason, please let me know ASAP.

I'm working the ropes at Scarborough to UNDO their decision to spend $40,000 to have a HazMat team clean up the range lead. I'm presuming that I can get some help from you guys.
[smile]

I'm working the ropes at Scarborough to UNDO their decision to spend $40,000 to have a HazMat team clean up the range lead. I'm presuming that I can get some help from you guys.
[smile]

I don't know about that. If I have to take the wife with me and drop her off at Freeport or Kittery while I help out, it may cost me more than the lead is worth! [smile]

Awesome time, just got back now. Thank you again JackO for being one of the most well organized hosts, you made it extremely easy for all of us. There was plenty of lead for all. Jim and John, it was too bad you guys couldn't make it, we saved you each three buckets that are currently loaded in Bob J's van and he says he can probably drop them by for you. PM him for scheduling.

Thanks again JackO, I think rep points are certainly in order [smile]

Ditto!

Thank You JackO! Just as Marcus5aurelius said well organized and a great host. JackO thought of everything, rep points from me. This was my first range clean up experience, somehow I get the feeling I'll be spoiled on everything else going forward. [laugh]

Thank You to everyone else as well for being kind to the guy that got lost and got there a bit late.

Back
Top Bottom