Frangible .223 Ammo

This is another one of my idiotic 'ask-for-advice-after-I-already-bought-it' questions.

I found what looked like a deal on 500 rounds of Fiocchi .223 frangible ammo. I am working on replenishing my AR ammo hoard, so I went ahead and ordered it. I have never used frangible ammo, I have read conflicting opinions on whether it has any merit for home defense, and I do not belong to a club that requires or allows it's use on the indoor range.

So, is there any practical use for this stuff, or am I a dumbass? It was around 50 cents a round, and right after I got my order confirmation, the vendor took it off their website. I guess I got the last of it.

Some ranges require it for indoors. I've used it for years indoors with my 9mm. if you are using it on a soft target in a defensive situation it will have about the same effect. Try it on the range along with your standard ammo you'll get a good feeling for it. In the end in my opinion it was not wasted money.

They use it in a lot of training classes I have been to - god for shooting steel or other drills that may cause a ricochet off a wall etc as i breaks up and doesn't hurt much. It is basically powdered copy in resin - I wouldn't want to get shot by it as it holds together pretty good on a soft target (actually might we worse as it will break up when it hits bones etc), but don't think I would use it for home defense.

One issue with it is that it is dirty stuff, depending on the gun it seems to shave off bits of it on the feed ramp and on the edge of the chamber - takes a lot more cleaning more often when using it, otherwise for a good deal I would definitely buy it.

Look what just arrived on my porch.

Frangible001_zps57629c8b.jpg

I reload the Sinterfire projectiles and shoot them at 12 inches at steel (.38 Special and .45 ACP) for demonstration purposes. With .308 Win, I'd stay back about 4 feet, since any debris on the steel can blow back and cut you. SKS was good at 3' with no issues. AT 50 cents a round that's less than current prices on 55 FMJ!

Back
Top Bottom