• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Four universal rules of firearm safety

Aren't the NRA's three rules so much better? Two of Cooper's are pretty much the same.

I am an NRA life member and instructor. I feel the NRA rules are good. And I feel that the more detailed information contained in the 4 Universals rules adds real value! In particular I like Rule #2 "finger off the trigger until the sights are aligned and you've made a conscience decision to shoot." Also rule #4... Beware of your target and what is beyond it.

Thank you, sir for sharing your insights with me. Stay safe, Wishse

I have always wanted to ask, am I violating these rules when I clean my Glock?

Assuming you've cleared the gun (mag first, then the chamber), and removed the slide from the frame with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction then you should be good to go.

We explain and share the four universal rules of firearm safety.

Ok, I'll play, and this is not directed at the OP but to anyone who preaches "The Rules"

1. All guns are loaded: well at least until the gun is disassemble to the point which it can no longer function. Example; such as when you clean it since you will be putting at least your hand in front of the muzzle.

2. Finger off trigger until on target and sights aligned. I guess that makes point shooting out of the question even at 5ft or less you better have those sights aligned even if your muzzle is pressed against a bad guy getting ready to kill you. Sorry but if I'm clearing my house because of a bump in the night my finger will be on the trigger.

3. Muzzle in a safe direction, he almost got one part of this one but stopped short when talking about the holster. So purse carry for the ladies is out, bedside loaded gun in a safe is out, all holsters are out as they allow you to sweep yourself and others through daily movement. Appendix carry, ouch? Pocket carry of that Keltec of small revolver with no holster=no-no. So the muzzle in a safe direction applies to unsecured guns such as a gun in the hand it does not apply to guns in cases, safes, adequate holsters. Not that I recommend pocket carry with no holster. All bets are off if you or anyone else has been playing home gunsmith on the weapon in question.

4. Be sure of your target and what’s behind it. So you can never shoot at a bad guy in the dark because your flashlight won't shin as far as a missed shot will go. Oh you're being tacticool and using night sights or a laser with no flashlight and have no idea what's behind your target? No more bird hunting with shotguns you might hit a plane or the space station!

My point is all these rules have caveats and each needs to be explained, especially to new shooters, how they work in the real world. Telling a new shooter that the muzzle of their gun can never sweep any part of their body and then they see your holstered handgun sweeping your leg and they realize their own gun sweeps their leg occasionally is at best really confusing at worst makes them think we are blowing off the rules.

Yes I have a bunch of meaningless gun related qualifications:
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
23 years military,
SIG Patrol Rifle Instructor grad
pistol (IDPA/USPSA) and 3-gun shooter
shooting for 46 years and what has kept me safe is all that time is my dad telling me at age 8 to treat all guns as loaded and if I shot someone they would die. He figured I was smart enough to figure out the other rules based on this one sentence.

Rant over, I just get tired of hearing "the rules" without any explanation as how to follow them in real life.

Just like every other "rule", there are exceptions, and if you consciously chose to ignore them, so be it. But it's a great introduction to safety for new shooters and a good reminder for experienced shooters.

All the points made above are exceptions.

Ok, I'll play, and this is not directed at the OP but to anyone who preaches "The Rules"

1. All guns are loaded: well at least until the gun is disassemble to the point which it can no longer function. Example; such as when you clean it since you will be putting at least your hand in front of the muzzle.

2. Finger off trigger until on target and sights aligned. I guess that makes point shooting out of the question even at 5ft or less you better have those sights aligned even if your muzzle is pressed against a bad guy getting ready to kill you. Sorry but if I'm clearing my house because of a bump in the night my finger will be on the trigger.

3. Muzzle in a safe direction, he almost got one part of this one but stopped short when talking about the holster. So purse carry for the ladies is out, bedside loaded gun in a safe is out, all holsters are out as they allow you to sweep yourself and others through daily movement. Appendix carry, ouch? Pocket carry of that Keltec of small revolver with no holster=no-no. So the muzzle in a safe direction applies to unsecured guns such as a gun in the hand it does not apply to guns in cases, safes, adequate holsters. Not that I recommend pocket carry with no holster. All bets are off if you or anyone else has been playing home gunsmith on the weapon in question.

4. Be sure of your target and what’s behind it. So you can never shoot at a bad guy in the dark because your flashlight won't shin as far as a missed shot will go. Oh you're being tacticool and using night sights or a laser with no flashlight and have no idea what's behind your target? No more bird hunting with shotguns you might hit a plane or the space station!

My point is all these rules have caveats and each needs to be explained, especially to new shooters, how they work in the real world. Telling a new shooter that the muzzle of their gun can never sweep any part of their body and then they see your holstered handgun sweeping your leg and they realize their own gun sweeps their leg occasionally is at best really confusing at worst makes them think we are blowing off the rules.

23 years military,
shooting for 46 years and what has kept me safe is all that time is my dad telling me at age 8 to treat all guns as loaded and if I shot someone they would die. He figured I was smart enough to figure out the other rules based on this one sentence.

Rant over, I just get tired of hearing "the rules" without any explanation as how to follow them in real life.
My respect to you sir as you are much more experienced than I am.
However I feel that you are looking at taking these rules literally.
It looks to me as if that they are more meant as basic rules to be ingrained in the gun owners mind to guide them in general safe gun handling. Sort of like the teachings of the seven deadly sins or the ten commandments. We know them, they may guide us, but we don't always follow them literally.

My respect to you sir as you are much more experienced than I am.
However I feel that you are looking at taking these rules literally.
It looks to me as if that they are more meant as basic rules to be ingrained in the gun owners mind to guide them in general safe gun handling. Sort of like the teachings of the seven deadly sins or the ten commandments. We know them, they may guide us, but we don't always follow them literally.

I respect and obey "The rules" and I agree with you up to the point that we never explain the rules such as muzzle control to new shooters. So my experience has been "instructors" states the muzzle rule and goes on to say never sweep yourself or anyone else and then proceeds to sweep himself before the period of instruction is over with his holstered gun. It is a disservice to new shooters to think they can reason through the muzzle rule or the “all guns are loaded” rule without explanation. I knew the rules for years, many years, and it wasn’t until I began carrying, competing and teaching that I realized the rules could not be followed literally. I don’t think I’m alone and many shooters are confused about how to abide by the rules day to day or I’m just not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I think the NRA is cope able in this also as they produce the training many of us teach and never go into the practical application of the rules.

I am obsessive about firearm safety because I am often shooting with my son.

A while back someone posted that he imagines that there is a death ray that constantly streams from the muzzle of the firearm. I know it sounds corny, but when you think of it that way when the muzzle gets close to the wrong direction something in your brain sets off an alarm.

I have always told new shooters that if they never point a gun at anyone, they will never shoot someone accidently.

i saw a grown man at the range yesterday holstering his gun with finger fully over the trigger.
could not believe what i was seeing.
was inches away from getting him thrown out but he kept the muzzle pointed at his foot the whole time so i figure perhaps he will learn the needed lesson.

23 years military,

i am no instructor, but i have been a beginner in the past so i guess that qualifies me.

your point about caveats is a good one. i totally hear you. unfortunately with new people they often cannot remember the RULES and the CAVEATs.

when i was in undergrad I had a prof say something quite profound which was "you can teach people 1 thing or you can teach them nothing." i think the 4 rules of gun safety are kinda like this....if i tried to teach a new person the 4 rules AND the caveats they would end up learning nothing and possibly be a danger to themselves/others.

there are caveats to everything in life. caveats don't nullify a rule. if caveats didn't exist then we wouldn't need professionals.
definition of a "pro" is they know the caveats - you sound like you have a great deal of experience so for someone like you the caveats are much more obvious.
i am not saying i am a pro (in anything).

Last edited:
So I was a bit of an ass in my first post.
I just hate the thought of telling students/new shooters a rule and then appearing to violate that rule without explanation.
I give reps to all who take their time to teach new shooters.

Stay safe and I hope to see you all at the range one day. If you don't do any action shooting I would encourage you to start. It's a blast!

If anyone thinks I'm a pro, you clearly haven't seen me shoot!

Back
Top Bottom