• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

found my first elk shed

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
found my first AZ elk shed up near flagstaff this weekend. girlfriend and i hiked 8 miles, found it on top of a ridge.

ywl9byt.jpg

zuRd7m1.jpg

TcFVE1L.jpg

Great find! You want some fun, go check the prices on Elk sheds in the auction at Jackson Hole. It is illegal to collect sheds on Federal land in WY, and the Boy Scouts are given permission to do that. The auction benefits mostly the Scouts and the rest goes to Jackson Hole.

moose and elk horn.jpg

Finding a shed before the critters get to chewing on it is the trick. My buddy while NH deer hunting opened the truck door and put a dent in it from a tree. We parked it at the exit spot for a drive of 3 guys and drove around to the starting point, leaving a 90 year old at the stand which turned out to be his last hunt. We pushed from the other side, the old timer did not get a shot. I broke out of the woods to the truck before the others and had found a nice neat shed from what would have been a ten pointer during that drive.

Since the area was empty, I grabbed a stick with a fork at the end and made deer tracks across the open ground at a distance that would simulate a running deer. I ended them at the truck right where the dent was in the door. I hung the shed on the rear view mirror and returned to the woods. I waited till I heard the yelling and walked out looking surprised. My buddy knew what I did and gave me the shed back.

Back
Top Bottom