• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Former PO from MA now living out of state

What if a former PO from MA now lives in another state and has an LTC for the state in which he now lives, as well as a bordering state but occasionally (family, etc.) finds himself travelling to PCofNZ (that's the Peoples Commywealth of NAZIchusetts). Does that former PO need an non-res LTC to CHA (cover his a**) in MA?

I could have sworn that I just posted this answer within the past week!

If he's still an active LEO anywhere in the US, he doesn't even need HR218 to cover him. This precedes HR218 for at least 30 years or more:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I could have sworn that I just posted this answer within the past week!

If he's still an active LEO anywhere in the US, he doesn't even need HR218 to cover him. This precedes HR218 for at least 30 years or more:

Apparently you missed the key condition: "What if a former PO from MA now lives in another state..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Scriv, you are correct! I missed that completely.

OP, sorry, scratch what I posted. If said person is a "former" PO, s/he has NO special status unless RETIRED (under the rules of HR218 - medical or 15 years PLUS pension, plus certified pistol qualification annually). In any other case, this is just a "John Q Citizen" visiting MA and would need a MA NR LTC.

Scriv, you are correct! I missed that completely.

OP, sorry, scratch what I posted. If said person is a "former" PO, s/he has NO special status unless RETIRED (under the rules of HR218 - medical or 15 years PLUS pension, plus certified pistol qualification annually). In any other case, this is just a "John Q Citizen" visiting MA and would need a MA NR LTC.

Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom