Former New England Junior Shooters

Written by Charlie T. and posted by the request of Derek H. Seems like a lot of the New England juniors that stick with it turn out to be hard guns. [smile]

I was going through some pictures from Camp Perry 09 and came across a great picture. It is a photo of the 1000yd Service Rifle, Porter Cup shoot off. The competitors, left to right are Julie Cogshall (soon to be Lieutenant), Sgt John Cogshall ALL Guard Rifle Team (a veteran of Afghanistan and soon deploying again) SPC Kevin Trickett, AMU and Sgt Nate Verbickas, AMU. This picture is very special to me. All of these “kids” shot as juniors locally, and kick butt too. As juniors, they compiled a couple of National Championships, Golden Eagle trophies, Deneke Team placements, Whistler Boy Champions, Distinguished Rifleman and Presidents 100’s.

As I sat in the stands watching the shoot off, I realized how proud I am of these kids. To see them competing at the highest levels….I just knew they would all be there.
The future of this sport is in good hands, the future of this country is in good hands….

Just thought I’d share

Charlie

shooters.jpg

Last edited:
i've shot with Nate Verbickas (actually scored/pulled for him @ the NH championships @ Nashua).

holy hell is that kid a hard-holder. one VERY impressive shooter.

im not surprised Charlie's proud of his kids...who wouldnt be with a roster like that!

I shot at the South Natick Jr Rifle club back in middle school. I sure wish I had stayed in it. But dad said grades or Guns. Now that I type that, it seems at the time I got neither. Hmm....

It was an indoor range underneath an old barn right near the S Natick Falls. I cant remember all the instructor's names I do remember the Scotts, Don and Michael (RIP).

We shot on great old Bolt action .22 Anshultz rifles. I took the things I learned there into the service and always shot expert or damn close.

I cant wait to get my kids into service rifle comp.

i've shot with Nate Verbickas (actually scored/pulled for him @ the NH championships @ Nashua).

holy hell is that kid a hard-holder. one VERY impressive shooter.

im not surprised Charlie's proud of his kids...who wouldnt be with a roster like that!

All the CT juniors always liked Nashua. My son got his first leg points there and also his last when he legged out.
HS

Back
Top Bottom