For those with some Longevity

I put this is the General section instead of the Ammo section because I am interested in focusing on the market as opposed to any one round. And because it'll get buried in Ammo and I'm looking for gen conversation.

As a relatively new shooter I have only seen ammunition at outrageous prices (the last year and a half). When I was much younger and shot with my grandfather, it was never an issue (the mid 80s). Now, I've heard from some individuals with a longer perspective that ammo, like gas, has gone up and down considerably over the years. I guess this doesn't surprise me, but I hadn't every thought about it. I sort of assumed that it just went in one direction. Up.

So, my question is, do you (collectively) ever think it will go down again? obviously factors like US deployments in the Middle East virtually eliminate "surplus" for many cals. Also, component prices are certainly through the roof. I am curious whether those who have lived through the ups and downs could describe a little bit, the highs and lows they've seen over the years and the conditions associated with those prices.

I suppose I'm just looking for someone to tell me that I'll be able to get a case of green tip surplus 5.56 for less than $500+ again some day [sad]

I believe it will go down...I was informed the price hike is due to the high price in the commodities market. Copper and brass are at historic highs

I think the conflicts overseas will eventually die down and then there will be more surplus on the market. Not sure on the price of metal though, that may only go up. The dollar needs to do better before we'll see some turn around on that.

A good indicator is that the Euro is starting to fall against the dollar. Plus the dollar has seen some rise with the fall of per bbl crude oil prices. Granted is only been a small move, but it's a start. A LOT of ammo is being created due to demand by the military. Sooner or later that requirement will slow down and these companies will have a lot of spare capacity and hopefully some stock that will help drive prices down. Doubtful we'll see 200 rnd battlepacks of 7.62 for $40 anymore, but you never know.

I believe it will go down...I was informed the price hike is due to the high price in the commodities market. Copper and brass are at historic highs

They were at historic highs. Within the past month commodities have dropped significantly from what they were. Copper was very close to $4 not long ago and has dropped to around $3.25 or so. But also historically the price of everything just tends to go up due to inflation mostly. The only way you will see a good drop in price is if more/larger supplies of the metals are found or there all of a sudden is a drop in demand. I don't see a drop in demand coming anytime soon. If anything demand has been on a steady increase.

I don't think the price will go down and here's why. Ammunition is not a general public necessity. Even though it may become cheaper to manufacture or import, the price has risen and we are still buying it. There will not be a great public outcry in the price of ammo. So, there is no reason to drop the price from a retailers point of view.

Maybe we will start to see those chain e-mails about not buying ammo on Tuesdays to stick it to the man. [smile]

I just bought some 22lr from Walmart and if I am remembering what I paid about a month ago, the prices have gone up about 50 cents since then.

The US is in the process of re stocking their inventory and small arms ammo production is in overdrive to meet this demand. This would account for the increase in cost of ammo and components. Once this demand has been met, prices should drop, unless Putin does something really stupid.

I think ammo might come down but I think now it's a pretty safe bet that we will -NEVER AGAIN- see ammo prices like what they were in 2004, for example. The price of fuel (eg, transportation) alone will prevent this from happening, even if it recedes somewhat.

That being said I wouldn't hang around waiting for the price to come down on anything, though. It could be awhile.

-Mike

Obama will win and decimate the miltary. Probably arm our troops with those nonlethal sticky web guns. Of course, he'll have all the ammo destroyed rather than let millions of miltary grade (snicker) ammunition fall into the hands of gang bangers and drug dealers. . .

Obama will win and decimate the miltary. Probably arm our troops with those nonlethal sticky web guns. Of course, he'll have all the ammo destroyed rather than let millions of miltary grade (snicker) ammunition fall into the hands of gang bangers and drug dealers. . .

The more exposure he gets, the more of a total Marxist he is exposed for. He doesn't even realize it because the idealogy is so ingrained. I just can't believe the people that "faint" over this total phony. Do we really have so many folks in this country that can't think and just buy into the hype?

The US is in the process of re stocking their inventory and small arms ammo production is in overdrive to meet this demand. This would account for the increase in cost of ammo and components. Once this demand has been met, prices should drop, unless Putin does something really stupid.

Its not just the demand for the finished product, its the raw material involved.
China and India are buying up any and all raw material and scrap metal they can get their hands on.

Wash your mouth out with soap. He wont win! God I hope not.

Wash your mouth out with soap. He wont win! God I hope not.

If he does, my faith in the common sense of the people of this country will be totally lost. Not talking about political junkies, just everyday common folks who go out and do the best they can.

Have no idea of numbers, but I have to believe that the everyday folks with common sense outnumber the political junkies.

I wasn't saying that with pride or respect. I said that with a heavy heart and despair for this country.

I see some people I regard as intelligent speaking positively about him, imo because of the way our current jestor has fumbled at the least his second term, if not a piece of the first, too.

If enough of those join those that will vote for Obama religiously and without thinking then it is all over.

Sadly, if the Dems do wake up and nominate Bill, I mean Hill, we the American People will still lose. (ed. Hillary is most definitely experienced and certainly represents her party, she's just stark raving mad and seems to want power for its sake.)

Either way, if McCain wins the whole deal (with or without chads and 51%, etc.), I don't see him becoming one of the "great" presidents and he has potential to be among the worst. Still, that would be better than Obama's presidency.

Last edited:
Oh! I lost track what we were talking about. Yeah. Ammo costs. I remember never worrying about ammo. Just something you stopped for at the store now and then and didn't think about. I had this cool little Mustang back then. A '66. That was a beautiful car. White with a sort of sky blue int- ... Oh darn. There I go again! I'll be good now!

The days of quality military surplus is gone, in my opinion - we've shot it up. Sure, there are still some stockpiles of 7.62 floating around but the good supplies of 8mm and 7.62x54R are either gone or being destroyed as we speak. A guy at work showed me some pictures of the sandbox and I was upset at the quantity of ammo that going up in smoke. I told him that the ammo was worth more sending it back for sale then just destroying it. I'm not sure about the US stockpile but I imagine that there is some older stuff sitting around that could be sold.

I've pretty much changed over to airguns and .22's to do any large volume of shooting. I still break out the .308's/ .223's when I see a decent ( for today ) price on battle packed ammo but I don't go crazy with it like I did before 2000...

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom