• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

? for those that take videos..

The hits are recorded on the score sheet. And the shooter should know what his hits are if he is calling his shots

Plus waiting on the videographer will slow up the match

I think for training, the hat cams work best as long as you have a second video to see overall

This. I just picked up a pair of the camera glasses. This way i can see what i'm doing body wise while shooting. If you wanted to see the targets, the shooter can walk up to the target and look and it will record. I think that is easier than. Having someone else running around the range after a stage.

I wouldn't see much value in video of the targets. My stage points tell me enough about accuracy.

I'm interested in finding out the ways I waste time on a stage. When other shooters post clips of their stages, I sync them to the starting beep and view them side by side. It then becomes glaringly obvious what I need to work on.

When the better shooters post their videos after a match, it's hugely helpful for the newer shooters. Hint, hint...

All good points. The camera glasses idea is really good. Just walking up and recording while checking score is so simple and least time consuming.

You really should get in the habit of following the RO as your hits are scored whether you recording them or not. It is simply good follow through for completing a stage and getting feedback on your performance. I think the head cam footage is more of a novelty. Even the regular footage starts to feel a little pointless after you are out of those first few years of competing. I've seen people more concerned with camera than doing what they need to be ready to shoot the stage the best way possible. If it becomes a distraction, it isn't worth it.

You really should get in the habit of following the RO as your hits are scored whether you recording them or not. It is simply good follow through for completing a stage and getting feedback on your performance. I think the head cam footage is more of a novelty. Even the regular footage starts to feel a little pointless after you are out of those first few years of competing. I've seen people more concerned with camera than doing what they need to be ready to shoot the stage the best way possible. If it becomes a distraction, it isn't worth it.

All great points Steve. Sometimes I find that after a run the adrenalin is going good and I'll forget to follow the RO in a timely fashion- but I need to make sure to do this more often. On the head cam... yeah, I really don't see it adding any value whatsoever.... all you get to see is targets and a muzzle... whereas when someone else videos it... you see where the movements could be improved, where there was a little hesitation, good/bad reload, follow through or lack thereof. That all being said... your are 100% correct about the camera being a distraction... as a shooter if you are spending time getting someone to take it and set it up before you run a stage- you are likely hurting yourself in stage prep. If I can't have a designated person take my camera while I'm in the hole I won't bother.

I do think that if someone does a good job shooting a vid of you- it can be a great learning tool. Most of the time when the ULSC is complete... I know what happened... sometimes not. I can't call my shots perfectly... but I know when I've got a questionable shot... and I don't need to see a target to know that something bad has happened unless I made it up!

I think hat-cameras don't really see enough to be much use in diagnosing shooting problems. It seems to me like the main advantage is looking really cool.

Having other people film can be really helpful.

I tried the hatcam using a gopro, amd gto is spot on. For me, it was more a pita than it was useful. Will not be bothering with it again.

The only one I've seen that I thought had a use past just entertainment was THIS ONE on the Shooting USA TV show; it shows exactly what the shooter is seeing when he looks down the sights......not exactly practical for match use however [wink]

I have a hat camera and I shoot revolver (hold you comments please). Here's some videos from the last mini walls of steel. LINK
I wanted to see the both the targets and check out my reloading technique. But I find I only lower my head enough to see the reload with my eyes and so the camera misses a lot. It's still worth it as I can see how long reloading takes. With an auto (aka bottom feeder) that reload is more at eye level and the camera should get more detail.

The camera is time consuming and tedious but I think I'll keep using it because I'm getting feedback that's valuable. Need to work on my reloads. Need to shoot faster.

Last edited:
The hits are recorded on the score sheet. And the shooter should know what his hits are if he is calling his shots

Plus waiting on the videographer will slow up the match
Man,
I hate to agree , but SuperNY10rounder is correct!
and we need more tapers & brass pickers, less videowhatever he called them!

Videos definitely have an entertainment value... but they also definitely have their teaching value too, regardless of whether it's 1st person video or 3rd person.

3rd person video shows you your body position/posture, your timing moving from one shooting position to the next, reloads, etc... all very useful feedback.

1st person video shows you exactly what you were thinking while you were shooting... if you hesitate between shots (take too much time for no reason), the video will show you. If you take an extra .5 seconds to look at your hit before moving on to the next target (not calling your shots), the video will show you. If you're lowering your gun between targets, etc, the video will show you. Again... I think this is very useful feedback as you can see where you can improve.

Regardless of what classifications you hold or how long you've been competing... you can always improve.

Also... videos are a great way of giving friends/beginner shooters a taste of what competition is like... who knows how many people have seen a video and said "damn... that looks like fun" and then went out to the next match to try it out?

Hanwei, I agree with you a 100%, especially that last statement. It's entertainment and getting others into the the sport for me. As for the whole more taping and brass picking, I might be a C shooter when it comes to shooting but I'm always committing myself to be a GM when it comes to getting the squads to move along in resetting a stage. Video folks don't slow down anything, 1st person, 3rd person, or whatever.

I'd like to see some footage from this setup....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjIdO2PxGJo

here's mine, I believe the value is nothing more than entertainment, to show people what they missed, or what it sort of looks like when you're shooting.
I bought my video glasses just for that reason only, the annoying thing, you can't really adjust them for where they point, maybe I have a misshapen head or I probably tilt my head down further when I shoot so the camera lens points a bit down. Or maybe my nose is too small, I don't know. I suppose I could try to change the angle by taking a heat gun to them, but then I'll probably damage whatever the internals are.
And don't even bother using them shooting rifle, you just record down towards the ground, maybe you'll get to see some shells ejecting, but that's it.

I certainly don't need video to find out what I was thinking while I was shooting. I should be thinking the same thing every time, shoot the target, get to the next one.

here's mine, I believe the value is nothing more than entertainment, to show people what they missed, or what it sort of looks like when you're shooting.

I certainly don't need video to find out what I was thinking while I was shooting. I should be thinking the same thing every time, shoot the target, get to the next one.

Yep and Yep

ok, now I'm dizzy and almost threw up all over my keyboard [puke]....not exactly what I was hoping for. like you said it points too high, kinda midway between a hatcam and that crazy "training system" in the link I posted.

PS - am I supposed to be moving that fast during stages? Ima need more coffee before matches if I am...

Video is incredibly useful to me personally. Adding to what Hanwei and GaminGoddess already mentioned, watching video important to me to self evaluate of how I shot. What was I doing wrong? I'm a new shooter, when I shoot I really have no idea how I performed during the stage. Did my grip change during the course of it? How was my reload? Was I really using cover? All I remember was I was sprinting from one point to another and I was super fast! The video upon review shows that it was more of a slow jog.

They all show things I need to improve on. How well do you remember what you did on a stage a week later when you finally get the scores from some clubs? I improved dramatically in the last year since starting the sport, which I can thank video for a part of that.

ok, now I'm dizzy and almost threw up all over my keyboard [puke]....not exactly what I was hoping for. like you said it points too high, kinda midway between a hatcam and that crazy "training system" in the link I posted.

PS - am I supposed to be moving that fast during stages? Ima need more coffee before matches if I am...

Holy smokes that video was more along the lines of Blair Witch Hunt and Cloverfield. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom