For those of you with experience with Surplus Handguns...

I just got my first one(a CZ-82). Is a regular field strip and cleaning usually ok before shooting or do I have to soak this sucker in some kind of solvent? It seems to be moving fine to me and other than needing a regular cleaning and some holster wear here and there its in good shape. I've heard of surplus rifles needing major takedowns and soaking before safe usage...didn't know if its the same for pistols. Any advice is helpful as I have never taken a pistol apart past a regular field strip for cleaning before.

CZ-82.jpg

They normally don't come caked in cosmolene like rifles often do. I think mine had a little grease here and there and all that was required was a wipe down with Break Free after disassembly to get the metal nice and clean. Q Tips work great for getting in the tight areas.
I know there is take down info available online, I just can't remember where I saw the link. Might have been the surplusrifle site.
Careful with harsh chemicals. These have an almost painted finish that might get damaged by some cleaning solvents.

I actually found pretty helpful instructions on field stripping it on youtube. I gave it a good cleaning and will be taking it to shoot this week sometime in Manchester.

On a side note what exactly is cosmolene? a preservative grease/wax? Its meant to prevent rust right?

That's basically what cosmo is. Cleaning is only indicated if it's present. With mine, I just took it out of the box, inspected it, then loaded it up and started shooting it.

Beansie nice CZ what you pay for it if you don't mind me asking.. I am interested in getting one myself. (PM if you like)

Back
Top Bottom