• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For anyone getting into pellet guns to save ammo costs.

cathouse01

NES Member
Just having posted a deal/steal on a Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston 22 cal pellet air rifle for $100, I thought I’d post a link to a very short video on how to shoot them. For those new to the genre, “springer” air rifles, unlike regular rifles or the more expensive PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) air rifles, have a strange dual forward/backward recoil impulse. And most of the recoil is going forward, not backward. This is due to that fact the forward impulse is caused by the piston coming to a stop at the end of its stroke. Since the piston by far outweighs the “bullet” and gas getting pushed out the barrel, it is the predominate recoil impulse. This short video give a good explanation on how to shoot a springer and how to pick a scope for one.

Spring Air Accuracy

Notice it’s British, since air rifles are very popular there due to their draconian gun restrictions.

Just having posted a deal/steal on a Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston 22 cal pellet air rifle for $100, I thought I’d post a link to a very short video on how to shoot them. For those new to the genre, “springer” air rifles, unlike regular rifles or the more expensive PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) air rifles, have a strange dual forward/backward recoil impulse. And most of the recoil is going forward, not backward. This is due to that fact the forward impulse is caused by the piston coming to a stop at the end of its stroke. Since the piston by far outweighs the “bullet” and gas getting pushed out the barrel, it is the predominate recoil impulse. This short video give a good explanation on how to shoot a springer and how to pick a scope for one.

Spring Air Accuracy

Notice it’s British, since air rifles are very popular there due to their draconian gun restrictions.
the air rifle realm has grown so much in the past 10 years.

Archer Air guns had some decent chinese air rifles for many years but that chinese company was bought out so archer is just parts now.

The gas piston rifles are different from old school spring piston rifles. that 2 way recoil is much less if any with gas piston

Last edited:
Some of or most of the bigger pellet gun sites won't ship to Ma. because of our wonderful AG......!!!!

Ammo cost isn't really the problem. Ammo and component availability is. But, air guns are cool, I need one.
There are so many types of air guns and ammo for them now.
My friend just picked up a 45cal and him and his dad rid the farm of 3 very agressive yotes.

out side .177 and 22 cal “normal” pellets ammo can get “expensive”

if your looking for a nice little target air rifle the CMP has reconditioned 853s for $115 shipped.

Suppressors for airguns (called "moderators" to stay on the down low) are becoming popular, especially in the few remaining suppressor-ban states.
Ammo cost isn't really the problem. Ammo and component availability is. But, air guns are cool, I need one.
Pellets are a bit more available than loaded firearms ammo, and if you have an RCBS press, you can buy a Pro-Swage Die and make your own slugs. The lead used for airgun pellets is "dead soft", meaning metallurgy is simpler than for casting powderburner bullets, even something like lead roof flashing will work.

There are so many types of air guns and ammo for them now. My friend just picked up a 45cal and him and his dad rid the farm of 3 very agressive yotes.
out side .177 and 22 cal “normal” pellets ammo can get “expensive”
Once you get into big bore, casting your own slugs starts to make more sense.

Suppressors for airguns (called "moderators" to stay on the down low) are becoming popular, especially in the few remaining suppressor-ban states.

Pellets are a bit more available than loaded firearms ammo, and if you have an RCBS press, you can buy a Pro-Swage Die and make your own slugs. The lead used for airgun pellets is "dead soft", meaning metallurgy is simpler than for casting powderburner bullets, even something like lead roof flashing will work.

Once you get into big bore, casting your own slugs starts to make more sense.
Absolutely, I have a 22 and 25 cal pellet mold somewhere....

PCP airguns are pretty loud, on smaller pellet ones, the piston is pretty much the loudest sound.
Then of course there is the AirForce Texan LSS available from Airgun Depot for a mere $1,700
That's more than 3x the price of my most expensive airgun -- I've got the (relatively) small version of that. Still loud, despite the baffles.

PCP airguns are pretty loud, on smaller pellet ones, the piston is pretty much the loudest sound.
Depends on velocity/cal really and if the “shroud” if equipped is any good.
The smaller cals pushing 1000 fps + will be loader than something at 800 fps.
Really comes down to what you want.
are you target shooting or pest control or even hunting

Some of or most of the bigger pellet gun sites won't ship to Ma. because of our wonderful AG......!!!!
Actually that shit started a few AGs ago here in mass. If I remeber correctly it had more to do with knives and sling shots?
its just morphed into what we see now.
Remeber waiting for the Cabela’s mag and mail ordering black powder rifle and pistol kits, those cheap pos would last just until the following years catalog came out. My dad ordered black powder and caps from ME

Morons, her and them!
Not really morons on their side, just businessmen (persons?). The Massachusetts market for most of this stuff just isn’t big enough for many of them to justify the possibility of having to spend any money to have their lawyers respond to Healey’s nuisance suits. If you’re only going to do $100,000 of business in MA, your profit will at best only be $5,000 to $15,000, which could easily be eaten up in lawyer fees fighting even a nuisance suit. And Healey knows it. That’s why the threatening letters keep going out.

Not really morons on their side, just businessmen (persons?). The Massachusetts market for most of this stuff just isn’t big enough for many of them to justify the possibility of having to spend any money to have their lawyers respond to Healey’s nuisance suits. If you’re only going to do $100,000 of business in MA, your profit will at best only be $5,000 to $15,000, which could easily be eaten up in lawyer fees fighting even a nuisance suit. And Healey knows it. That’s why the threatening letters keep going out.

I wasn't describing them literally, only figuratively. Fair enough?

Spring Air Accuracy

wheres the link to the deal?

nevermind, i found it and they're gone. just saved $100 on something i'd likely not use LOL

Last edited:
Assuming that I am interested in grabbing an air rifle for plinking, and not for shooting wild boar, etc....can anyone point me to a good forum to scour for reviews??? And I am not in the thousand dollar and over range. Thanks.

Got the Benjamin from the sale. Really isn't bad. The scope is pretty good and I would have paid the full price. Shooting it tomorrow will report back

I just picked up a Crossman Vigalante revolver. It is their tacticooled 357, but isn’t as accurate as my old one that looked like a Python. Good enough for cans and chipmunks though.

I have several air guns that I shoot in the back yard and for those who are unable or not inclined to get a machinegun license, full auto and suppressed airguns are available. Another option is to buy colibris and shoot .22s. I do all of the above but finding ammo right now may be difficult.

Assuming that I am interested in grabbing an air rifle for plinking, and not for shooting wild boar, etc...
1e5a4508ba4fe3b6c22d27ee17dabcea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom