• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Folding stock question?

The Goose

NES Member
I recently acquired a pre-ban Ruger Mini 14. It has the traditional wooden stock, but also a Butler Creek folding stock. Does anyone know the law pertaining to the folding stock? Also if the folding stock is not legal can I somehow permanently lock or pin it open and be in compliance? Thanks for any info.

If it is a preban rifle then there is no problem adding the stock, as long as the rifle was a complete rifle before the ban (usually only an issue with certain makes of AR lowers).

Additionally, although IANAL, the Mini-14 standard does not have any of the evil more-lethal features (flash suppressor, bayonet lug, folding stock, and pistol grip) and you are allowed to have any one of those on a post ban gun (although the pistol grip and folding stock usually come together so that's why it's a no-no on most post ban guns.

Last edited:
I did a search and found this thread so I figured I would post my question here.

If I buy a new post-ban gun in MA with a fixed stock then move to NH can I replace the stock with a telescoping or folding stock?

Folding stock for a Ruger 10/22 in MA?

I came across this thread, and thought I'd see if I could get some help. I live in Massachusetts.

I'm thinking about a Ruger 10/22 build. Starting with a new (or definitely post-ban) rifle.

Mass. folks who know: is this stock illegal in our fair commonwealth?
steel_folding_stock.png

How about something like this? I can't see the difference but with MA laws that read like Monty Python skits, what I do know? - so I'm putting it out there, I know, some if you core guys must think I'm dumb by asking, but the way I see it, the only stupid question is the one which wasn't asked and should have been.
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
It has a folding stock and a pistol grip. Combine those with the detachable mags that the 10/22 takes and adding that stock to one makes it an illegal "assault weapon". You could use either stock if you had it pinned so that it can't be folded. IANAL and this is not legal advice.

knfmn is correct.

And even a pre-ban 10/22 can't legally be used as the host UNLESS it was built with such/similar evil features on/prior to 9/13/1994. For instance I have a 1986 vintage 10/22 that was purchased in 1989 with a deluxe walnut stock and never modified. I can never (in MA) legally put a folding/collapsible stock on it like the above.

knfmn is correct.

And even a pre-ban 10/22 can't legally be used as the host UNLESS it was built with such/similar evil features on/prior to 9/13/1994. For instance I have a 1986 vintage 10/22 that was purchased in 1989 with a deluxe walnut stock and never modified. I can never (in MA) legally put a folding/collapsible stock on it like the above.

This is so important. Just because something was made pre-ban doesn't mean it's good to go. It needed to have been in "assault weapon" configuration prior to the ban in order for it to be legal (in MA) to add those parts.

Back
Top Bottom