Fixing S&W 642 Trigger Slack.

I have a Talo PC642 and at the front of the trigger pull there is a short amount of slack. The trigger on this gun was unusable out of the box so I sent it to S&W and they replaced the hand and cylinder stop. It's now usable but I don't like the slack.
Is this slack there purposely for some reason or can it be fixed? I'm not taking it to a gunsmith. I like to learn this stuff and do as much as I'm able as long as I have the tools and know what the problem is.

There seem to be two areas where there is slack. Where the bottom of the sear and sear engagement hook comes together, and at the cylinder stop.
It's like either the sear isn't long enough. When I pull the trigger and take up the slack I measure roughly .4mm of space.
There is also about the same or a little less of a space where the hook at the top of the trigger goes into the cylinder stop.
I've shown the area with arrows below. The space doesn't show up but it's there.

So, is this space there for a reason? If not is there a way to fix it so there is no slack? I stared at it for a while and aside from replacing parts with now ones I'm not sure how I would fix it. I'm still learning. Are aftermarket DA sears available that require fitting? If so I'd be comfortable fitting one as I've done that sort of thing on 1911's before.

Thanks.

Sear Arrow.jpg
Cylinder Stop Arrow.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom