Fitting a Wilson Ambi safety to a Colt Defender?>

SnakeEye

Banned
I got a High Ride Ambidextrous Thumb Safety for christmas for my Colt Defender.
423B.jpg

however as you can see in the picture, the right side of the pair has a large boss on it with some machining done to it. there simply is no such hole large enough to accept this on the right side of the pistol
is the cold defender not able to accept an ambi safety? or am i going to have to drill out the existing hole on the pistol frame to accept this?
thx

Neither of those pair have a large boss on the right side. The Boss is on the left as it is supposed to be. You do not need to be doing any drilling!!!!

I agree with Dan...send it to a gunsmith if you dont know how to fit it properly.

Neither of those pair have a large boss on the right side. The Boss is on the left as it is supposed to be. You do not need to be doing any drilling!!!!

I agree with Dan...send it to a gunsmith if you dont know how to fit it properly.

as you can see the right side there is a large machined boss which ive highligted.
there is no hole in the right side of the pistol frame to accomodate anything even close to that size.

searxu2.th.jpg

recomend anyone for the installation? North shore area?

as you can see the right side there is a large machined boss which ive highligted.
there is no hole in the right side of the pistol frame to accomodate anything even close to that size.

searxu2.th.jpg

recomend anyone for the installation? North shore area?

The highlighted boss is what blocks the sear, a hole is in the frame for it. As for a gunsmith, perhaps someone else can suggest one.

Those highlighted boss's are actually on the left side of the safety.

nope ,their on the right side as shown.
the parts i have must be mirror imaged parts manufactured backwards and incorrectly.
i will call wilson and ask for an RMA to send them back.

nope ,their on the right side as shown.
the parts i have must be mirror imaged parts manufactured backwards and incorrectly.
i will call wilson and ask for an RMA to send them back.

Have you ever taken the thumb safety out of a government model 1911 before?

Let me try to explain this to you so even my wife would understand....

Looking at the pic you posted. Ignore the blued set of ambi thumb safeties. Lets talk about the stainless ones.

Those are sitting how they will be installed onto your frame. seperate the two pieces. The left side, the side with the "boss" will install on the left side of your 1911. (After you remove the original thumb safety.) The same side as the slide release and plunger tube. The side you have remaining, the right side, has one long smaller diameter boss. This boss slides into the now empty hole on the right side of the 1911 and connects back up with the new left side.

There is nothing wrong with the thumb safety.

This may be a silly question but, you're not looking at them upside down are you?

I was thinkng the same thing. This should be an easy job. Just match the grind on the inner section to the angle and size of the safety you are removing. You may also want to ease the angle on the outer section to allow for smoother transition from "safe" to "fire" position.

Hahaha..thats funny..Two people TRIED to tell you, TRIED to help you but you insisted that you were correct.

I spent a good amount of MY time answering YOUR question. I posted a pic of the safety installed and asked you if you understood....Then you chose not to reply.

So in fun, I use a line from a movie and YOU, the person who asked for our help call ME, the person that tried to help YOU a Dick...and you tell me to grow up? Please.

And let me add, one of the folks that tried to answer and help you is one of the northeasts premier 1911 gunsmiths..........I'll let him choose to id himself.

Back
Top Bottom