Fitchburg Sportsman's Club - Anyone a member?

http://www.fitchburgsportsmensclub.org/

"The oldest continuously active sportsmen's club in the United States," with facilities located at 289 Rindge State Road (route #119) in Ashburnham, Massachusetts, just south of the New Hampshire border.

Anyone a member here? I'm thinking of joining after some questionable safety related incidents at my current club.

Looks like a nice club. They did Beginners shoots for trap in 2005 once per month. I'm hoping they do it again this year, as it would be a great chance to try it out.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

I talked to one of the BOD's today while eating at a breakfast buffet in Rindge. He is going to send me an application. 900 acre club. Two stocked fishing ponds. 400 members and only $55 year...

It's alright but the rifle range is exposed to the weather. They have "plans" for improvement but it's taken a year and a half just to put down a crushed stone base for the proposed covered shooting stations at the rifle range.

Trap shoots on Tuesday nights starting at 6:00 pm, either it's mobbed or nobody's there. No scoring, no doubles. You might be overlooked for the rotation if enough long time members are present. Shooting positions on the rifle range are in the impact area of the trap field.

Pistol range is covered and on the other side of the highway.

3-D archery shoots starting possibly late August. They put the targets out on the eveniing of the shoot then take them right in after.

Clubhouse remains locked except for scheduled events & meetings. No other sanitary facilites provided. It's out in the middle of nowhere.

Beginner trap shoots and kids fishing derby, other than the regular trap and 3-D archery they don't do very much.

My feelings on this club are mixed. I don't expect to renew my membership.

Its a good place to take a kid fishing (Big pond only) and do a little trap shootinig if you don't mind waiting and occasionally being passed over.

Great club

I have been there several times. It is out of the way but it is unlike most clubs. Great long range rifle and great place to fish. Check out the orginal house which burned down ages ago. The land was donated by the orginal owners of the home.
It also has a great yearly event with food, prices and stuff for the kids.

I kind of like the fact it is out of the way.

God Bless our Troops

I have mailed in my app (and checks)
Do I need a sponsor? the site is unclear. If I do, i may be up a creek, both my uncle and I want to join (family memberships) but no longer know any members.

Thanks in advance!!

I am no longer a member however there is a gentlemen by the name of Dick Lunburg. I may have mis spelled his last name. he lives in Ashby a near by town and is a long time member and a great guy. I am sure if you go to the club someone will direct you to his contact info. Just tell him Fred refered you.
He is a great hunter! Hope this helps.

Thanks for the offers guys!! I will let you know if I need to take you up on the offer.

[grin]

Update: I got a call this afternoon. (well my better half did) I am all set. At the next member's meeting (monday 4/7) i will be issued the membership.

Thanks Again.

Last edited:
One more thing.... The trap range overshoots the rifle range, this causes the rifle range to be closed when someone is on the trap range. I was there one day when there was to be a schedule "trap time" at 6pm, at 5:20 a couple of people showed up and started setting up on the trap range, at 5:30 they started shooting while we were still on the rifle line, you could hear the shot hitting the trees to our left. Of course, bump firing a 30rd Mag out of one of our AR-15's convinced them to stop shooting until we left. Unsafe A-holes will show themselves at any range.........

http://www.fitchburgsportsmensclub.org/

Anyone a member here? I'm thinking of joining after some questionable safety related incidents at my current club.

Looks like a nice club. They did Beginners shoots for trap in 2005 once per month. I'm hoping they do it again this year, as it would be a great chance to try it out.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, have you had anything else happen at the Winch range other than the 4-wheelers/snowmobile issues. I'd definitely be interested in hearing any other incidents.

Matt, have you had anything else happen at the Winch range other than the 4-wheelers/snowmobile issues. I'd definitely be interested in hearing any other incidents.

Twice I've had drunks stumble down from the club house to watch, but that's it. All the cool people shoot there!

Back
Top Bottom