Fishing License Question

Can 2 people fish with 1 rod and 1 license? My wife would like to fish with me but not enough to pay for another license or by a 2nd set of equipment, we also don't have the money for that.

Is it legal for her to cast and hold the rod without a license and maybe even haul in a fish? I would think it shouldn't matter as long as we didn't exceed the daily creel limit between the 2 of us, but if fishing regulations in this state are anything like firearms regulations I'm sure nothing is logical.

I'm not a fish lawyer but I'd say no. The licenses are issued to an individual with that individual's name. Just my thought on it.
But, for a definitive answer you may want to call the Dept. of Fish and Game at (508) 389-6300. Very knowledgeable and honest folks every time I deal with them, which is quite often.
You could dig into the masswildlife website but it would probably be easier just to call.
Good luck.

Is it legal for her to cast and hold the rod without a license and maybe even haul in a fish? I would think it shouldn't matter as long as we didn't exceed the daily creel limit between the 2 of us, but if fishing regulations in this state are anything like firearms regulations I'm sure nothing is logical.

What you are describing is not fishing. Engaging in those activities, without the proper license, is commonly called poaching. There is an age limit for kids, where they don't need a license. I hope your wife is older than that.[smile]
Seriously though. If she is holding and working the fishing rod she is "Fishing" and needs a license. Substitute a hunting situation where you are both sharing 1 shotgun, Do you think the Game Warden will let it pass if your total bird count between you is under your single bag limit and he has witnessed her shooting one of them?

Every year there is a free fishing weekend where no license is required. This year it is June 6 & 7. She can fish without a license on that weekend.

Granted, it was Maine but I had a friend who was fishing off a dock in front of his camp. After about an hour he walked off to get a drink and his wife picked up the rod from the dock and cast it in - As soon as she did, a Maine Warden walked out of the bushes and busted her. Wrote her up for fishing without a license.
He had to have been watching and waiting as this place is out there...

Sharing a fishing license because you have only one line in the water and taking turns is a bit like sharing a driving license because you only have one car. [smile]

I kinda figured it would be a no no but I figured I'd ask. Almost 30 bucks just seems like a lot of money to only fish once or twice a year. The free fishing weekend may be an option next year, we already have plans for that weekend this year.

I don't mind paying the license fee because I know it pays for raising and stocking trout... which I plan to eat.... but we'd have to catch and eat A LOT of fish to make 2 licenses worth it. You can buy a fair amount of fresh fish for $60.

Too bad they don't have a resident weekend license.

Sharing a fishing license because you have only one line in the water and taking turns is a bit like sharing a driving license because you only have one car. [smile]

I don't know about you but to get my drivers license I had to take drivers ed, take a written test and demonstrate that I could safely operate a motor vehicle. When I got my fishing license all I had to do was show ID and pay money...not quite the same.

Driving without a license or training poses a public risk... what risk does my wife with fishing experience and no license pose that me with a license and no experience doesn't?

With my LTC I can take a friend who is unlicensed to a range and let them fire my guns all day long to see if they enjoy it and want to get their own guns and license... but I can't take someone fishing unless they want to shell out close to 30 bucks.

I was fishing out on a trout pond once with my GF about 15 years ago. I had two rods out as a license fisherman can have at a time. The GF wasn't interested in fishing but I asked her to reel in the slack line as I was tending to something else. The Game Warden happened to be hiding in the bushes just looking for poachers, violaters, etc... I knew he was there too as the bronco was parked in the lot. We were issued a $50 dollar fine for her fishing without a license. I explained that she didn't even cast or take the bait out of the water and that she was just reeling in the slack for me. It didn't matter. Once she touched the rod, that was it. The GW was an ass too. He threatened that he could have confiscated all of our equipment if he wanted to and if I said anything more he will do it as he didn't want to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom