First reload shot

I just bought a 650XL and have it in .45.I stumbbled through the video and after 25 mistakes got the machine running well.I ran off 200 rounds in no time.Even after checking and double checking powder,lenth and all it still went pretty fast.Now hopfully tommorrow I will fire my first by myself reload.So if anyone is around MRA tommorrow you MAY want to back up if you see me[grin].

You might want to load only 10 or so rounds of a new load until you are sure they are okay.

Respectfully,

jkelly

You might want to load only 10 or so rounds of a new load until you are sure they are okay.

Respectfully,

jkelly

What jkelly said. Everything will probably be OK. But you won't be the first guy to load a batch of ammo that, while it's safe, does not group or function like you'd want. (forty years of reloading and I still relearn this one on occasion.)

Not fun to have to pull any more then a couple dozen when a mistake was made.
I load 10 hit the range and go from there... that is good advice.

When trying a new recipe I load up about 10 or 20 at the most and then
go from there. This is especially true when farting around with things like
crimp and OAL.

-Mike

Scooter congrats on your new hobby. I recently started myself and its a ton of fun.

All the guys are right about the small batches. I suffered through shooting some batches that were jam prone because I went and loaded a ton of an untested recipe and was to stubborn to not shoot them. Its a pain to only put out 20 rounds on the 650 but be patient. You will figure out the tricks to doing small development batches. The most difficult thing for me was OAL but once you find your load you can run out a thousand in a sitting. Its nice to only have to worry about loading every month or so.

I went to range yesterday with a hundred of my first reloads.I first started out at 33 feet and did pretty good then went to 50 feet and could have done better,but I was still happy with the results.Your right gentlemen I will try a hotter and lighter load to see the difference.There are so many variable to learn on a recipe,I guess I could try some[grin]

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 29
  • PICT0004-2.jpg
    PICT0004-2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 26
Enjoy your new hobby, just remember the 2 scariest sounds when shooting reloads:

1) a click when you expect a BANG

2) a BANG when you expect a click

If you get the click (or pop instead of BANG) STOP and check the bore before continuing. The biggest mistake we see in beginning reloaders is too much or no powder. With no powder the primer can push the bullet into the barrel, follow that up with another full power round and a bulged barrel is the BEST result you'll get, catostrophic failure is probable!

Enjoy your new hobby, just remember the 2 scariest sounds when shooting reloads:

1) a click when you expect a BANG

2) a BANG when you expect a click

If you get the click (or pop instead of BANG) STOP and check the bore before continuing. The biggest mistake we see in beginning reloaders is too much or no powder. With no powder the primer can push the bullet into the barrel, follow that up with another full power round and a bulged barrel is the BEST result you'll get, catostrophic failure is probable!

If there was no powder the primer wouldnt be powerful enough to cycle the slide,would it?

Back
Top Bottom