• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First real long range match

J

Jose

I've had an NRA Long Range Expert classification since 2004, but that was all at 600 yards. Since this year began, 600 yard scores are no longer part of the Long Range aggregate, so now my 600 yards scores are going to my Mid Range Prone classification (Master currently).

Well, this weekend I went to the Indiana Long Range championship at Camp Atterbury. Saturday was a Palma style match consisting of 15 rounds each at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. Sunday was a 40 round (two strings of 20) match at 1000 yards.

I am very pleased at my first true long range performance. Saturday's match was a 139-2X at 800 and a 142-3X each at 900 and 1000 for a 423-8X. Sunday was a 179-4X and a 189-3X at 1000 for a 368-7X. The 179 was a screw job from the people marking my target and that's all I'll say on that.

Still, all in all, I finished the weekend with a 791-15X out of a possible 850 points, which is a respectable 93.06%. Still an expert class score, but when I look back at my rolling 120 shot average in Long Range scores (including a 600 yard match fired last Nov, which still counts as LR), I end up with a 94.48% average. The cutoff for Long Range Master is 94%, so I moved up in class pending recept of scores by the NRA.

On top of that, I won the Expert class for the weekend aggregate score and took second in the Palma (iron sighted, sling supported 308 rifles only) sub aggregate. BTW, I shot all weekend with an iron sighted 308 while most people were using scopes in the matches where they were allowed and shooting much flatter, faster cartridges like 6mm XC, 6.5-284, and 260 Remington.

All in all, a good weekend.

I'm going to try and fit in some long range shooting next year. Albany NY is not so far that it's not doable. Last time I was their there was a nice gentleman's club right on the strip near the hotel we were in. :p

B

Sure did.

It's true what I've heard that once one gets comfortable at 1000 yards, 600 seems easy.

It is good to shoot 1000 a couple of times a year as it does make 600 seem easier. The good thing about shooting at 1000 is after getting good at it you know you can hit things out to 1000. [smile]

Congrats! I don't think I can see out to 1000yds,much less aim and fire at a target.

Thanks.

But you just hit on a pet peeve of mine. I have severe myopia (nearsightedness) and mild astigmatism in both eyes. I also got an early onset of presbyopia (need bifocals/reading glasses), and I am only 41. I'd be lost without my glasses since I was 16.

Match aperture sights are extremely forgiving on their own, and downright easy to use when you add the magnifying lens that you are allowed to use in either the front or rear sight.

The target's aiming mark (the black portion) is almost always 6 minutes of angle. That means it is three feet in diameter at 600 yards and five feet at 1000 yards. I say almost always because the same target used for 1000 yard shooting is also used at 800 and 900 where it becomes 7.5 and 6.7 MOA respectively, so the aiming mark appears bigger than what it normally does at those two distances.

My point is that NRA Highpower and Long Range are not seeing contests, they are shooting contests. Anyone with good enough sight to legally drive a car can see more than well enough to compete.

Anyone with good enough sight to legally drive a car can see more than well enough to compete.

I kind of see your point,but I also think you might be underestimating the skill it takes to compete.First time I saw Derek and Brent hold the AR that funky ass-backwards way with thier hand all contorted wearing those big ass vests it cracked me up.

Shooting at something that far..I mean if you take a breath the wrong way it seems to me your shot would be way off paper and into the next town.It's a discipline I would like to try one day.

Like anything in life, just showing up is half the battle. In a couple of hours of decent coaching, most can learn enough to compete safely and have a very enjoyable time. Unless of course it is raining cats and dogs and your soaked and your feet get wet.

Making it to the top 25% or higher is a little more difficult. That has more to do with making a commitment to shoot regularly, and approaching your efforts like an athlete would; than any innate skill. It's something that can be learned like most anything else. There is really no magic. Just hard work.

B

Good shootin'

It's nice to see the art of the rifle is alive and well. What was your gear and what were the conditions? Again, congrats and keep up the good work.

[cheers]

It's nice to see the art of the rifle is alive and well. What was your gear and what were the conditions? Again, congrats and keep up the good work.

[cheers]

Rifle is a custom prone rifle based on a sleeved Model 700 action built by Bill Wylde. Barrel is a 30" Krieger with a 1/12 twist and chambered for 308 Winchester using Sierra 155 Palma Match Kings.
aJma1QJ37FE84Z-9b6FRj8pJo3DYDcwR0280.jpg

Rear sight is a PNW with 1/4 MOA elevation and windage adjustments. Rear aperture is a Gehmann 510. Front sight is a 30 mm Right Sight from Stallings Machine with a Gehmann 2.9 - 4.9 adjustable aperture and a 1.5X Crizal magnifier.

I use a Creedmoor cordura hardback shooting coat and a 40 mm slign made by John Weller.

Winds were not too bad during the entire weekend, except for one big pickup from 3 oclock during Sunday's second 1000 yard string which caught everyone by surprise and resulted in lots of 8s and 7s at 9 o'clock. Light sucked all weekend long as the mid September sun does not rise high enough to get over the south -facing targets of Camp Atterbuy's KD ranges.

Very nice rig. How has that Wylde worked action felt? Did you think of a custom action first or did you seek out the 700? I see you're using the sierra's have you tried out any of the berger's? Again, congrats.

Very nice rig. How has that Wylde worked action felt? Did you think of a custom action first or did you seek out the 700? I see you're using the sierra's have you tried out any of the berger's? Again, congrats.

The action is silky smooth. The trigger sucked. The rifle came to me with a Timney which was horrible. I was ready to install a Davies two stage but the sleeve precluded this so I bought a decent and inexpensive trigger from Rifle Basix. It is OK but still a single stage. I am waiting for the Jackson/Chombart two stage to become available and will probably put one of those on.

I was thinking of using Savage's new target action, but then this rifle came along at a very good price. I have tried Hornady 155 Amax with inconclusive results. I am not a big fan of ammo testing. I found a very good load with Sierras and I will stick with it. I'd rather spend my load development time training with my Anschutz SB prone rifle. Much more productive use of time.

Back
Top Bottom