First BIG Mistake (Double charge), Questions and OUCH!

Trail boss is actually a pretty crappy powder for jacketed bullets. I know this because I've shot a ridiculous number of .38 Special rounds loaded with jacketed bullets and Trailboss.

If you're looking for a powder that yields consistent results and fills a significant portion of a .38 case, try Blue Dot.

I only use TrailBoss for lead cast, and that was because thats what dad uses for soft shooting CAS loads. That said, if you say I can get the same thing with Blue Dot then I am gonna give it a try next batch. I am getting from a~740 fps for 158 gr lead to ~840 fps with 127 gr lead. Should I expect about the same from Blue Dot?

I have been using A2400 for hotter .38sp / .38+P loads using plated bullets, I think my max was around 1100ish fps with 158 gr RN Berrys Plated.

I don't bother with jacketed in .38 loads, I save them for my hot .357 loads.

Trail boss is actually a pretty crappy powder for jacketed bullets. I know this because I've shot a ridiculous number of .38 Special rounds loaded with jacketed bullets and Trailboss.

If you're looking for a powder that yields consistent results and fills a significant portion of a .38 case, try Blue Dot.

I use Trailboss with coated SNS 200 GR bullets in 44 Russian cases for plate shoots. Good for the application, but the only powder I've had issues with in my Hornady powder measure - on a measure load of 3.9 GR I might get drops of 1.2. Might be better off using the rifle insert with it...

I like the design of my Dillon XL650, with the Dillon powder measures. There's a large amount of downward travel before the powder measure starts getting reset, so you really have to work at it to get a double charge.

Back
Top Bottom