Firearms On School Grounds

To me the interesting question would be whether or not any LEO can/would enforce the law. In other words can the state or local police enforce federal law, or does this have to be done by a federal agent (ATF)? Here is an example (as far as I know) illegal immigrants are only arrested or charged by border patrol or INS, at least I've never heard of local or state police enforcing such laws.

Here in NH state law only prohibits concealed carry in a court house.

Also another question......Since NH LTC does not meet the federal requirements, what about a NH resident that has a MA (or another states) LTC with more stringent requirements. Would that then meet the federal requirements? This of course would not apply to carrying in a MA school zone since it it against MA state law.

Last edited:
To me the interesting question would be whether or not any LEO can/would enforce the law. In other words can the state or local police enforce federal law, or does this have to be done by a federal agent (ATF)? Here is an example (as far as I know) illegal immigrants are only arrested or charged by border patrol or INS, at least I've never heard of local or state police enforcing such laws.

You generally have it right- what these things usually stem from is local authorities getting their panties in a wad over some incident. Let's say a guy left his gun in a school or something, someone finds gun (PD gets called) gets gun, may or may not charge guy if he broke any laws... but then... PD gets the bright idea to call the local US attorney's office and go "pssst this guy we know of might have broken a federal gun law. " That office may then decide "we have a case" or "this is too non-viable to prosecute" and go/not go from there.

Also another question......Since NH LTC does not meet the federal requirements, what about a NH resident that has a MA (or another states) LTC with more stringent requirements. Would that then meet the federal requirements? This of course would not apply to carrying in a MA school zone since it it against MA state law.

The whole "licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located" business in GFSZ would seem to preclude using this as a wallhack.

-Mike

Last edited:
what about a NH resident that has a MA (or another states) LTC with more stringent requirements. Would that then meet the federal requirements?

NO.

The law specifically says that the license must be issued by the State or subdivision of the State in which the school zone is located.

Back
Top Bottom