• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finished refinishing my m44

took out the dslr for some good pics

DPP_0001.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0006.jpg

DPP_0007.jpg

DPP_0008.jpg

DPP_0009.jpg

DPP_0010.jpg

DPP_0013.jpg

DPP_0014.jpg

wood looks very nice
did you just do wood?
how did you do it?

yeah just the wood

first i sweat out all the cosmoline over the course of a week, then doused it with citris strip and scrubbed it really well with a tooth brush

let that dry for a day then did 4 coats of minwax stain, followed by 3 coats of wipe on satin poly

Nice stock!

I just picked up a spare m44 stock to try refinishing. I really love the light wood look with blued metal

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

yeah just the wood

first i sweat out all the cosmoline over the course of a week, then doused it with citris strip and scrubbed it really well with a tooth brush

let that dry for a day then did 4 coats of minwax stain, followed by 3 coats of wipe on satin poly
Time consuming but the results were well worth it. Great Job !!!

So what's good for removing the shellac?

I just bought a spare mosin stock off eBay for cheap and want to try refinishing. If it comes out good, I'll buy a barreled action for it.

Everyone will have a different opinion here

My two cents is to use citris strip, they sell it at home depot in the paint section.you don't need anything more than the aerosol can

Spray it on, let sit for 15, scrub with a tooth brush, respray, wait another 15 scrub again, wipe it all off with a clean rag, wet a rag with mineral spirits and wipe again till all that stuff is off, then let dry out for a day

I spent a good amount of time steaming the cosmo out of my Mosin and it looks great, but every time I take 'er out she sweats out a bit more as the barrel heats up. Last week I put 100 rounds through it in a fairly short period and the cosmo was running down the stock like water; ruined a good t-shirt cause I didn't notice the cosmo dripping all over.

I now keep a rag in the range bag specifically for wiping up cosmoline. I am not complaining! That's just how it goes with a 70-year old rifle.

Last edited:
Citrus strip worked well. Now I currently have the stock wrapped in paper towels and a trash bag and living in my trunk for a few days. Supposed to be 90 wed.

No idea what finish I want to use yet

47c046da-0ab5-a536.jpg

This is a spare 91/30 stock I have.

crap, I have a feeling like I need to buy another Mosin ... and I have a couple of boxes that I never opened yet ... this is just how awesome this thread it.

Wow, sweating the stock out on the back window shelf of my car really works well.

Unwrapped the stock last night and the tissue and paper towels were soaked in cosmo. Stock feels less "cosmo'ed" too.

I figure one more try should do it. I jammed all the crevices with tissue paper and then wrap it in paper towels and black trash bag and tape it tight.

Next three 90 degree days should do the trick.

what type of sand paper do you guys use, and how much sanding?

I have my SKS in the oven right now, giving it a 150º warm up for 20 mins at a time. Not much is coming out, I think the past user got most of the cosmo out of this piece.

Back
Top Bottom