Finding money on the stoor floor etiquette

additionalmc

NES Member
On the ground, most folks leave pennies where they are, anything silver color and above usually gets picked up and pocketed. What do you do if you find a stack of $1 bills on the floor of a Wal-Mart?

I was with my young daughter, we found about $20 worth of singles, I thought best bring them to the service counter in case the owner came looking for them. $20 extra dollars won't bring me over the top, but it probably ruined someone's day losing it.

What do you folks think?

Good on you. Though you likely made some store employee an extra $20, the person who lost it probably would have really appreciated getting it back

Agreed with showing your daughter a nice life lesson. Unfortunately it probably went into an employee's pocket. Good job though.

I don't know where you're located, but most states have laws regarding found property.

Mass General Laws Chapter 134 Section 1
Section 1: Report of lost money or goods by finder

Section 1. Any person who finds lost money or goods of the value of three dollars or more, the owner of which is unknown, shall within two days report the finding thereof to the officer in charge at a police station in the town where said property was found, or, if there is no police station, post notice thereof in two public places therein, or, instead of such report or posting, cause notice thereof to be advertised in a newspaper published therein.

i found a $100 bill right outside the door of my bank on the way out and brought in back in and told the first person i saw, a loan officer. "where'd you find it? inside or outside the bank?" "outside." "it's yours then." and he walked away. hey, don't have to tell me twice. devil on my shoulder sez "put it your pocket, son. you did you're duty."

On the ground, most folks leave pennies where they are, anything silver color and above usually gets picked up and pocketed. What do you do if you find a stack of $1 bills on the floor of a Wal-Mart?

I was with my young daughter, we found about $20 worth of singles, I thought best bring them to the service counter in case the owner came looking for them. $20 extra dollars won't bring me over the top, but it probably ruined someone's day losing it.

What do you folks think?
I would notify the service counter that I found some money but NOT leave the money with them. Give them the info with my contact info, also tell them I would do the same with the local PD. Let the person contact me and tell me how much money and exactly where it was lost and then return it to them. If the store has cameras and offers to ID the person who lost it and we can find the person in the store all the better.

If I saw the person drop it, I'd stop them and give it back to them (and I've done this in the past).

If it isn't claimed and you end up keeping it just make sure you report it on your MA taxes as income so the Commiewealth can get their cut.

You taught your daughter a valuable lesson that is well worth more than $20.
This X-100. For most of us $20 dollars isn’t going to make a difference in our weeks activities or meals etc. But for some that is an amount that they are stretching to their next pay period for necessities not luxuries. Even if some employee ends up pocketing it, the fact that your child perhaps learned that the value of a dollar is relative to the person possessing it, as well as the importance of honesty is invaluable and well worth it in the end.

I would notify the service counter that I found some money but NOT leave the money with them. Give them the info with my contact info, also tell them I would do the same with the local PD. Let the person contact me and tell me how much money and exactly where it was lost and then return it to them. If the store has cameras and offers to ID the person who lost it and we can find the person in the store all the better.

If I saw the person drop it, I'd stop them and give it back to them (and I've done this in the past).
This^^

In singles? A stripper dropped it. Party on. Find her and give it back one at a time sipping cognac while the dj plays "cherry pie" by warrant.

When I used to work at Sears as an employee would find money on the floor all the time. Bring it to security and they put it aside with my name on it for x days (I think it was 30) and if nobody claimed it they would give it back to me. Quite a few times I would get it back. Any store has many cameras and if you tell them where you found it they can look back and can usually see who dropped it. Not that they will often know who they are, but they sure can cut down on anyone trying to claim it if it wasn't theirs.

Good for you! I discovered I had lost a $100 bill while out Christmas shopping. I had only been to one store. I went back but didn't expect to find it. The clerk recognized me and said we found your $100, it's in the back office. I was rather happy and the people in the office seemed generally happy to give it back to me.

129041188491268621.jpg

In a store like that, I'd probably do what you did. Someone who probably doesn't have much money put it down for some reason and forgot...maybe it was a kid.

money found out on the sidewalk or something is a different story.

I would have left my info with the service desk, but I wouldn't have told them the amount.

I went to the bar for a company dinner thing. And someone in front of me walking dropped a stack of money, must have been their check.

I wasn't sure who it belonged to and wasn't going to announce it. So I waited till the end of the night. One of them went to pay their bill and was panicking because they lost their money.

So being the nice guy I am, I paid for his tab, and bought me a new TV. Lol. Nah I gave it back to him. Turned out it was one of my buddies.

I don't know where you're located, but most states have laws regarding found property.

Mass General Laws Chapter 134 Section 1

I don't remember what state it was but this law was the reason some poor slob got jammed up when an armored vehicle "accidentally" lost a bundle of cash off the back of the truck. He found and kept it and was subsequently arrested for keeping the money. That is pure BS. He just didn't do enough to keep it hidden for a while before he started spending it.

I don't remember what state it was but this law was the reason some poor slob got jammed up when an armored vehicle "accidentally" lost a bundle of cash off the back of the truck. He found and kept it and was subsequently arrested for keeping the money. That is pure BS. He just didn't do enough to keep it hidden for a while before he started spending it.
haha yeah...you find money that fell out of an armored truck you shut the f*** up about it and buy NOTHING. slowly over time feed it in small amounts into a brokerage account.

I was out shopping with my GF a couple of years ago, she tried on a jacket in a Bob's store and when she put her hand in the pocket out came a Best Buy gift card. She went with the finders keepers rule on that one.

What Len said.

I wouldn't give it to Walmart customer service or even tell them the amount, only that I found some money. Somehow I doubt the cash wouldn't disappear if their customer service had it.

Back
Top Bottom