Finally I found a Luger

The model is P08 (1908), but it was manufactured in 1911.

No telling when the re-barrel was done, but I agree, it gives the appearance of a German arsenal job. Frame was re-blued at the same time, as evidenced by the same finish inside the dings and pitting.

I agree with Juergen that it was "liberated", either WWI or WWII. It's a great starter piece to a Luger collection, and at a very fair price. Maybe not a high end matching collectible, as some can be seen trading well above the $3000 price point. But it's far more than just a shooter. A real looker.

Now I am bummed. I thought I found a nice collector item and I guess I missed the mark. Was $800 to much? When I saw the numbers matching on the frame and other small parts including the grips and then a new barrel with a new number with matching parts to that number I thought I found a matching pistol, meaning all parts that were original matched and then when it went thru its refurb those numbers matched.

If you folks dont think its worth the $800 and I could find a matching for around that price I will part with this one. I have become attached to it however. Whom ever owned it took very good care of it. The bore is extremely bright and the lands and grooves are pristine.

I should have stuck with Russian, Yugoslavian, Czech, and Polish guns. At least I know about them.(kinda)

Fred,

You have an very nice pre-WWI Luger. Even though it was refurbished, it was done by the Germans and is period correct. It's one that you can shoot without getting too worried and you didn't break the bank. It's a good piece at a fair price.

T

OK now I am on a mission. I am going to buy a Finland made pistol. At least I know about them I read at least 7 different books over the years on their pistols and heck, I just love Finland anyway.[wink]

Keep your eyes peeled that Luger may wind up on the chopping block soon.

It's a fine example, Fred. Beats the heck out of the condition of my examples. Both of mine are matching, vet bring backs, from both WWI and WWII. But the meticulous Luger boys still call them $600 shooters because of the pitting and reduced finish. I still wouldn't part with them.

Yours is in exceptional rearsenal condition, no major pitting, excellent grips, and a likely bring back. Very easily an $800 gun, and likely a few Franklin's more.

Now I am bummed. I thought I found a nice collector item and I guess I missed the mark. Was $800 to much? When I saw the numbers matching on the frame and other small parts including the grips and then a new barrel with a new number with matching parts to that number I thought I found a matching pistol, meaning all parts that were original matched and then when it went thru its refurb those numbers matched.

If you folks dont think its worth the $800 and I could find a matching for around that price I will part with this one. I have become attached to it however. Whom ever owned it took very good care of it. The bore is extremely bright and the lands and grooves are pristine.

I should have stuck with Russian, Yugoslavian, Czech, and Polish guns. At least I know about them.(kinda)

Fred, I watched luger auctions for 3 years before finding the luger I wanted and at $800 your doing just fine. There is a group of collectors that might frown on yours ( and mine ) but the wast majority of the milsurp market considers yours a "collectible" item. Most ww1 era Lugers are pitted piles of crap that go for $1300+ Pre war are even more so. Yes, it has been rearsenaled but it looks right ( not a butcher job by a "collector" looking to flip a parts gun.

I'm not a luger "expert" by ANY means... Personally I'm not concerned with what the 1% of the Luger collector market thinks of my pistol. Many of these guys have more money in pistols than I will make in the 5 years. In their definition a true collector grade pistol would run you well north of $2000+ and should be shot. The quality of the Luger for sale on the market is continually going down while the price increases with no real surplus that will ever be seen again.

Hold on to it, youll be glad you did.

Edit: you and Juergen talked me out of buying more than one pitted over priced luger, hopefully I can talk you into keeping this one. I owe you both for the luger I ended up with

Last edited:
The more I look at it I dont think I could part with it. I still am not on a quest for a pistol made in Finland.

That is a beautiful pistol.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom