Finally going to ask my lame question

AR-15's [hmmm][thinking] , I haven't been to one NES shoot (And I've been to many) where I haven't seen somebody having an issue with an AR.

AR's are like Bitchy Women, High maintenance, No matter how much You care for them they will still come back and bite you when you least expect it.

[smile][wink]

I'm sure I'll draw fire for this post but I'm not worried, your AR will jam while I'm on your flank.[smile][wink]

My M&P15 has never jammed even once in about 1000 rounds. And stay away from my flank!

Thanks again for all the input.
For those of you who wanted to know what gun,
Both a Ruger LCP and Stoeger Cougar 8000
Because both are Carry weapons I will go with keeping it lightly oiled to the point it makes a glossy look but does not run.

Just an FYI, if you have or are going to get a Crimson Trace laser grip or other laser, you really need as little oil as possible. I have had the blow-off of oil even after 1 round end up on the laser lens turning the pinpoint beam into a cloud.

I make 1/2 gallon of lube for under $10.

I use a 50/50 mix of synthetic ATF and synthetic 5w-20 motor oil and lube to the manufacturers recommendations or according to my own experience. Some guns need to run wetter than others.

Lately I've been cleaning with Ballistol and brake cleaner.

If you do use brake cleaner (and it cleans really good), make sure it's Non-Chlorinated. Otherwise it might (and probably will) damage the finish on the metal. Other than that, EC's stuff is GTG.

I have been using #9 to clean, and have a bottle of Ballistol that I have not opened yet. As for lube I was given this tip by someone much smarter than me, Marvel Mystery Oil. It is very light weight and a little goes a long way.

"AR-15's , I haven't been to one NES shoot (And I've been to many) where I haven't seen somebody having an issue with an AR.

AR's are like Bitchy Women, High maintenance, No matter how much You care for them they will still come back and bite you when you least expect it."

Let's see; I bought my Colt H-BAR Match Sporter in or around 1992. I've shot it extensively every year since, and I have never had one single jam or failure of any sort. Maybe you've had experience with cheap clones or something. My Colt runs perfect and always has.

AR-15's [hmmm][thinking] , I haven't been to one NES shoot (And I've been to many) where I haven't seen somebody having an issue with an AR.

AR's are like Bitchy Women, High maintenance, No matter how much You care for them they will still come back and bite you when you least expect it.

[smile][wink]

I'm sure I'll draw fire for this post but I'm not worried, your AR will jam while I'm on your flank.[smile][wink]

Same with SOCOM"S [wink]

hmm i like this idea of motor oil, going to have to try that.

i have been using the bottle of hoppes lube that came with my cleaning kit on my rifle and shotgun, and i just rinse the glock off in the sink.

My pre-ban AR has never given me any trouble and I've run thousands of rounds thru it.

Let's see; I bought my Colt H-BAR Match Sporter in or around 1992. I've shot it extensively every year since, and I have never had one single jam or failure of any sort. Maybe you've had experience with cheap clones or something. My Colt runs perfect and always has.

xring, I think you might be on to something.

Olympic Arms has made a big splash with cheap ARs. I have a friend who was an armorer for Olympic Arms out at the factory. According to him, they weren't built properly and had many problems. Advice from him and lots of knowledgeable folks on the AR15 List (different than AR15.com) is RUN AWAY from Olympic Arms ARs!!

Makes me wonder if the ones with problems aren't OA ARs?? You see metric tons of them for sale at every gun show and gun shop for the past number of years.

[smile][wink]

Only if you don't know what you're doing.

While it doesn't get intensive use, my Olympic AR runs fine, including my reloads.

As for over-oiling, the bore is NOT the place to do it. You'll know you're running too much lube when it blows all over your shooting glasses and/or optics.

I use 5w-20 because it's thin and it was on the shelf and cheap when I went into the parts store to buy lube. I use ATF because it's thin enough, has better corrosion protection than motor oil, better migration, won't oxidize during storage (a 1/2 gallon lasts a long time) and it's compatible with any material (including polymers) that it's likely to encounter in a firearm.

ETA: It might be my imagination, but the addition of ATF also seems to make the guns easier to clean afterwards.

You know that they make 0w-20 now

Back
Top Bottom