• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL to FFL Shipping Form 1508

michaelpelosillc

Dealer
NES Member
I searched through existing threads for a while before asking, so apologies if I missed my answer somewhere. In regards to using USPS for shipping handguns, what is the proper method for filing a 1508 w/ the Post Office/Post Master? I ask because I've been given different answers by different mail clerks at two different post offices the past week, both which involved back-and-forth phone calls w/ various clerks who would at one point claim everything was okay, then it wasn't.

My understanding is this:

1. Bring the package to a PO
2. Hand the package over w/ a form 1508 filled out
3. One 1508 should be filled out for each package mailed
4. Say thank you (I pay for shipping online)
5. Go home

But this week I was told various additional instructions (some later retracted) including I should put a copy of the 1508 inside the package, that mail containing firearms needs to be shipped separately, I am supposed to receive a stamped copy of the 1508 form for my records, and that I should also list what the purpose of the package is for (i.e. service/warranty work). I offered a copy of my FFL and I don't think they understood what that even was, to be honest. USPS is the easiest method for me to ship with at the moment (FedEx won't return my calls and the UPS Customer Center nearest to me is 40 mins away and terrible), so I'm stuck for now. Even customer support wasn't all that helpful. The best was the clerk yelling out in the store "OH, THERE IS A FIREARM INSIDE HERE? OH, LIKE A GUN? OH, BOY, OKAY."

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Ive had several packages with guns in them through the USPS and I’ve never had the 1508 form in the package. Don’t thinks it’s a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom