• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL refusal to do MHP.

NFD9

NES Member
Just curious...has anyone dealt with an FFL that has refused to do two or more handgun sales / transfers to you within 5 days to avoid the extra paperwork?
If so...how did it go?

Just curious...has anyone dealt with an FFL that has refused to do two or more handgun sales / transfers to you within 5 days to avoid the extra paperwork?
If so...how did it go?
Never heard of this. It literally involves one form and the use of a fax machine. Or a lot of dealers probably just scan and email. But honestly if it's a problem just use somebody else or get all your transfers done with them and then black cross them and move them on to somebody else.

It's actually safest for the FFL to do it and file the form, as there is always the chance the BATFE will invent the new crime of "structuring" if an FFL transfers too many handguns to one individual just outside of the required reporting window.

Lots of vitriol but I don't see an issue with it. The multi gun purchase form is easy enough to complete but who wants their purchases sent off to the local CLEO for record keeping? I also believe this is one more form for the atf to scrutinize and jam you up on if you have type-o's or forget a part of an entry. Ultimately its the dealers inconvenience they are seeking to avoid.

It's actually safest for the FFL to do it and file the form, as there is always the chance the BATFE will invent the new crime of "structuring" if an FFL transfers too many handguns to one individual just outside of the required reporting window.
this too but I would imagine that he wouldn't do them that close together.

Many moons ago, I purchased my first two pistols from bASS Pro during what used to be their great August Hunting sale. I was told to come back in two days to pick up the second to avoid the counter guy having to do "extra paperwork" that would also have to involve the manager.

I’ve had an FFL warn me that they’d have to do the paperwork. Told them I didn’t care. They did it… I can’t remember what state this was in, but they have to notify the local chief of police too, which I also didn’t care about.

Nothing ever came of it… it’s a stupid rule.

This is as true as it gets , ATF watches the multi forms like a hawk and they can VERY easily pick up on funny stuff during a audit

They don’t care about you making multiple sales , but they DO care about the paperwork

Never heard of this. It literally involves one form and the use of a fax machine. Or a lot of dealers probably just scan and email. But honestly if it's a problem just use somebody else or get all your transfers done with them and then black cross them and move them on to somebody else.
My electronic bound book sends the form filled out by email to the local PD and ATF. Essentially zero work...

I’ve had an FFL warn me that they’d have to do the paperwork. Told them I didn’t care. They did it… I can’t remember what state this was in, but they have to notify the local chief of police too, which I also didn’t care about.

Nothing ever came of it… it’s a stupid rule.
federal law/regulation. multihandgun form sent to ATF and to the local PD (local to the FFL). But its beyond stupid easy to comply... Total fuddary to refuse the sale

If so...how did it go?
The real problem is you are buying actual on roster handguns such that you can achieve two within 5 days. Spread your wings and buy stuff that needs to be frame transferred and the problem goes away. no need to report sale of multiple frames...

Lots of vitriol but I don't see an issue with it. The multi gun purchase form is easy enough to complete but who wants their purchases sent off to the local CLEO for record keeping? I also believe this is one more form for the atf to scrutinize and jam you up on if you have type-o's or forget a part of an entry. Ultimately its the dealers inconvenience they are seeking to avoid.
Yeah but any dealer that refuses to do them needs to declare this up front, so that the person doing business will understand that they're basically useless and then make a decision at that point. MHP forms are not a big deal.... any FFL that doesn't suck files them all the time. If a dealer feels that there's some kind of a compliance burden, then maybe they should charge more money for the time it takes to "check for typos". 🤣

Many moons ago, I purchased my first two pistols from bASS Pro during what used to be their great August Hunting sale. I was told to come back in two days to pick up the second to avoid the counter guy having to do "extra paperwork" that would also have to involve the manager.
I'm shocked that a BOX STORE does this. Shocked i say!!! 🤣

View: https://youtu.be/7o3WGvRHpyA?si=XFlEUV1xLHtE5myg

federal law/regulation. multihandgun form sent to ATF and to the local PD (local to the FFL). But its beyond stupid easy to comply... Total fuddary to refuse the sale
Thank you just funny as time goes by you forget things, I haven’t done a multiple purchase in forever

Just after Sandy Hook, I bought four pistols and two rifles as a single purchase from Ron's Guns in East Lyme. I vaguely remember that there was paperwork, but this was CT, there's always the DPS3-C to go along with the 4473.

I had an FFL tell me to come back on the 6th business day so we didn't have to do the extra Fed form. I was fine with that.

Just after Sandy Hook, I bought four pistols and two rifles as a single purchase from Ron's Guns in East Lyme. I vaguely remember that there was paperwork, but this was CT, there's always the DPS3-C to go along with the 4473.
It's Federal not state, so yes, you should have had to fill out the Fed form.
"As others have said, there is no restriction on the number of handguns that can be acquired, but the FFL is required to submit a report (ATF Form 3310.4) in the event two or more handguns are acquired within 5 consecutive business days."

It's Federal not state, so yes, you should have had to fill out the Fed form.
"As others have said, there is no restriction on the number of handguns that can be acquired, but the FFL is required to submit a report (ATF Form 3310.4) in the event two or more handguns are acquired within 5 consecutive business days."
I was a dealer in CT and they have a state form as well. One the dealer keeps, one goes to the state police, one goes to the town police that the customer lives in and one goes to the customer.

That's so insane to me.

Having lived in CT since 1977; when I moved to GA in 2016 - the difference in attitudes about guns and the gun laws themselves was quite simply astounding.

Register your firearms because you're moving here? - Are you kidding?
No, you don't need a weapons permit to have firearms in your house or your vehicle.
8 days from establishing residency to get my GA weapons permit.
Assault weapon? WTF is that? Unless it's an SBR or NFA item, we don't care.

Having lived here about 7 years now, CT laws just seem foolish.

Having lived in CT since 1977; when I moved to GA in 2016 - the difference in attitudes about guns and the gun laws themselves was quite simply astounding.

Register your firearms because you're moving here? - Are you kidding?
No, you don't need a weapons permit to have firearms in your house or your vehicle.
8 days from establishing residency to get my GA weapons permit.
Assault weapon? WTF is that? Unless it's an SBR or NFA item, we don't care.

Having lived here about 7 years now, CT laws just seem foolish.

All sounds good with that except the heat and humidity of GA. Give me cold and snow anyday over that. Otherwise I'd be there already.

All sounds good with that except the heat and humidity of GA. Give me cold and snow anyday over that. Otherwise I'd be there already.

Yeah, valid point - but I do find that I'm acclimating. First couple of years here were pretty rough in the summer, now I find "winter" more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom