Feds search for weapons

"The lamest so far came from a police officer: He said he bought a few military-style rifles, left them in his car and — on the same night — forgot to lock a door. He couldn’t explain why he didn’t file a police report or why he visited Mexico the day after the alleged theft. "

Another tip took agents on a 30-minute drive from the shack to a sprawling home with a pool in the back and an American flag out front.

It turned out two handguns, of a type drug gangsters prefer, were bought by a pastor for target practice.

Some stories, they say, are hard to believe

Like a Tommy Gun used by John Dillinger? Oh no I bet it was those evil Glocks.....Every time I shoot mine I know I get an urge to do some Heroin or something. [rofl]

Do you suppose someone has done a study to see what type of gun a drug gangster actually does prefer?

I'm ignorant. Can someone explain how they are tracing these guns?

Are they starting with a serial number, then going to the manufacturer who has records of the dealer they sold to? Then the dealer should have records unless a fire destroyed it or something?

I'm ignorant. Can someone explain how they are tracing these guns?

If you buy more than one handgun at once from an FFL (I think in a 10 day period) an MHP form gets sent directly to BATFE. This means they know what you bought, who you are, and when you bought it- all without a warrant or other legitimate criminal investigative reason. They get to interrogate you on your purchase of more than one handgun "if they think it is suspicious" or some crud.

Yes, normal traces are conducted the way you suggest, but typically those traces are only done through normal criminal investigative
channels. This article seems to be insinuating that both methods are being used here. EG:

Among other things, the agents are combing neighborhoods and asking people about suspicious purchases as well as seeking explanations as to how their guns ended up used in murders, kidnappings and other crimes in Mexico.

This statement seems to imply that feds are conducting old fashioned traces (from "crime guns" ) as well as auditing MHP forms in this "initiative."

-Mike

Last edited:
From the article:

The mission is especially challenging because, officials say, that while Houston is the number one point of origin for weapons traced back to the United States from Mexico, the government can’t compile databases on gun owners under federal law.

Agents instead review firearms dealers’ records in person.

Expect this to change.

It turned out two handguns, of a type drug gangsters prefer, were bought by a pastor for target practice.

Let me guess here. A matched pair of Colt 1911s or SAAs?
Probably in a $300+ presentation box?

very suspicious..

Somehow I am not getting the mental pic of the Good Reverend buying up all of the $25 jennings and ravens..

Do you suppose someone has done a study to see what type of gun a drug gangster actually does prefer?

"Ive got my pistol point cocked. Ring-a-ling shots non stop until i see your monkey ass drop."

Apparently they prefer "pistol point" guns that go "Ring-a-ling" until they see "your monkey ass drop" [laugh]

Well, you seize firearms.

First thing you'll do is determine if they're traceable or not.

Second thing you'll do is trace them in country.

Third thing you'll do is submit the info on any traceable firearms you haven't already figured out, but have good reason to believe came from the US, to the ATF.

The numbers don't in any form or manner shock me. Most Colts will be traceable in the US, as will most Winchesters, S&W's, Bushmasters, Remingtons, Marlins or any other US made firearm (or any with US Import marks).

That doesn't mean they were illegally sent to Mexico. The Mexican military uses what for weapons?

Now, the reason I mentioned 'Nuff said was the searches were to look for specific sources, the probable cause being previous ownership of specific firearms (by serial number), NOT random searching, as some folks were leading us to believe.

Lots of ommissions due to bias on this matter, and Nickle isn't buying ANY data on numbers. I'd wager the Mexicans don't know how many they've confiscated. I know full well Hillary and her ilk have NO CLUE how many weapons Mexican criminals have, let alone what brand and where they came from.

Course the fun in all this in a lot of cases guns "traced to the US" may have originated here but that doesn't mean they were sold domestically.

So the antis can sit back and say "10,000 rifles were traced back to the US" and gleefully leave out the part of ".however, these were legally exported to the mexican (or insert some pisspot nation here) government... "

-Mike

"The lamest so far came from a police officer: He said he bought a few military-style rifles, left them in his car and — on the same night — forgot to lock a door. He couldn’t explain why he didn’t file a police report or why he visited Mexico the day after the alleged theft. "

If his story was true maybe he didn't file a police report because he knew it would have no effect on getting them back [laugh]

mex guns

its against the law for most in mex to have guns so if the policia see a gun and take it its a crime scene but most that they get are full ak 47s, grenades and rocket launchers.a lot of mex buy guns to protect themselves from robbers and drug gangs.this is all a scene to go after americans.just like Mass had 1,700,000 licensed gun owners now there are 260,000.there were 160,000? FFL holders its now down to around 60,000.

One wonders how many of the "seized" Mexican guns have been seized in the past and recirculated back into use by their *ahem* highly ethical and dedicated law enforcement and military.

If you seize the same gun 5 times, does it count as 5 guns?

Your local MHP may also send a form to BATF but the FFL that makes the sale also sends a form directly to BATF records div.

Here is the form.
Report of multiple sales or other disposition of pistols and revolvers.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

If you buy more than one handgun at once from an FFL (I think in a 10 day period) an MHP form gets sent directly to BATFE. This means they know what you bought, who you are, and when you bought it- all without a warrant or other legitimate criminal investigative reason. They get to interrogate you on your purchase of more than one handgun "if they think it is suspicious" or some crud.

Yes, normal traces are conducted the way you suggest, but typically those traces are only done through normal criminal investigative
channels. This article seems to be insinuating that both methods are being used here. EG:

This statement seems to imply that feds are conducting old fashioned traces (from "crime guns" ) as well as auditing MHP forms in this "initiative."

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom