Face to face purchases

I've done a lot of searching but I'm not clear on the law. If I am doing a face to face purchase, is there anything that is required? Do any forms need to be filled out, do I need to own a permit for a handgun, etc. I know in other states there is nothing required for a face to face purchase as long as the seller checks to see if the buyer is of legal age. If someone could clarify for me, that would be great.

Thanks.

Nothing is needed to purchase a rifle or shotgun (except in NYC). If you wish to purchase and/or possess a handgun, you need to have a license to carry or possess a handgun, and you need to apply to your licensing authority to add the new handgun onto your license. When selling a handgun, you need to apply to have the handgun removed from your license.

Different counties have different rules, you have to check with your local county clerk to see what is required to obtain a permit.

One more question:

Lets say I go to another state where you do not need to fill out any paperwork, or have a permit, would I be able to buy a handgun then? Or only a rifle?

Back
Top Bottom