FA-10 - Hi Cap. Firearm

Hi All,

First, I would like to say Thank you to all the contributors to this site that have provided such a wealth of information. I have heavily relied on this site to help me follow the MA gun laws. Since my move from GA, it has been quite a project to understand MA laws and successfully acquire a LTC-A (none) and I am looking forward to my first purchase soon.

My searches have came up empty on this topic, so I thought it would be a good time to ask a question and introduce myself.

1. When selling a hi-capacity handgun (post-ban) (without magazines, >10+ rounds n/a)...how do you specify this on a FA-10/eFA10?

2. What happens after the FA-10/eFA-10 is accepted...is the buyer/seller placed on a 'watch list' because the handgun is hi-capacity and can readily accept hi-cap magazines... How does this work?

Thanks.

1. I ask this seriously! What do you mean by a "hi-capacity handgun (post-ban)?

I assume you mean that since it was made after some magic date? Or do you mean it isn't on the EOPS Roster of "approved handguns"?

In any case, no handguns in MA are banned (exception: so-called "AW" handguns, to wit AK/AR handguns, etc. made after 9/13/1994). There are laws/regulations on what a MA Dealer can transfer, but in no way does this prohibit private sales or possession.

2. We're all on a "watch list"! If you have a LTC/FID, "they" know who you are and where you live.

Realistically if you have the appropriate license, nobody cares if you own a "hi-capacity" gun or not.

As for the ability of any gun to "readily accept hi-cap magazines" . . . let's face it, any gun with an external magazine CAN accommodate a magazine of any length. So if read literally, EVERY handgun/long gun with an external magazine could be deemed "large capacity"! That was not the intent of the law (not even by the morons who wrote it), but since they didn't have a f'n clue what they were writing, that is the way it turned out if read literally. Therefore, EOPS has written a CMR which is less stringent and more fitting with the "intent" of the law in this regard.

Welcome to NES!

1. When selling a hi-capacity handgun...how do you specify this on a FA-10/eFA10?

If the handgun is in fact large capacity (i.e. has ever been shipped by the manufacturer, to any State, with a magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds), check off "Large Capacity" on the FA-10/eFA-10.

2. What happens after the FA-10/eFA-10 is accepted...

Nothing.

Thanks. By hi-capacity, I meant large capacity. And by post-ban, I meant that there are not pre-ban magazines available for this model.

- When selling large capacity handguns, is it necessary to write "w/o magazines" when magazines are not being sold with the firearm?

I would write this by the model, since there is additional room...

Does anyone have any experience in this area. Thanks

Just fill out the info the fa10 asks for. The form has nothing to do with magazines do not make note of it just just give the form what it asks for nothing more. Simple, lawful, don't over think it fill it out mail it in forget it

The form will be scanned when they receive it, with only the entries in the boxes retained. Nothing you write any place else on the form will make any difference.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom