• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Exeter, RI, to discuss unconstitutional resolution and take away the RKBA

State Rep. Larry Valencia will be joining with the Exeter Town Council to read in and put into the record a resolution asking the state to eliminate the town level granting of concealed carry permits. A meeting will be held on March 4, (tomorrow, sorry for the short notice) at 7:00pm at the Exeter Town Hall. The resolution calls for repealing parts of 11-47-11 at the state level. That would affect all towns, not just Exeter. Please do your best to show up at the Exeter Town Hall tomorrow and show your adamant disapproval of this resolution. Those of you living in Exeter, these are your town council members and your state representative.
Exeter Town Council Resolution to Kill Local Concealed Carry Permitting

This will take away the non-discretionary licensing provision that RI residents have and they will have to apply to the Attorney General (May Issue) instead.

Here are the email addresses on one line to the Town Council. Feel free to email them and ask them to withdraw the resolution.
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

There were so many people that showed up opposing the resolution that they made a motion to postpone the discussion at a different location that could hold more people. About 150 people showed up, which is not bad for a small rural RI town that doesn't even have their own police force!

The meeting was held yesterday at a larger location, and with about 5-6 State Police and Police from a neighboring town since Exeter doesn't have their own police. It's interesting that none of them wants to do a background check for Exeter, but they will be there for a Town Council meeting... There was about 10-12 applicants in Exeter last year, so it's not like it would be a strain on their resources...
Anyway, the resolution passed and a bill will be submitted to make the Attorney General the licensing authority for Exeter. This means they are going from a Shall Issue to a May Issue and their RI constitutional rights just left Exeter (if the bill passes).

Exeter is an unusual case. They disbanded their police force years ago. I admit this bill is a bad idea but they are a bunch of moonbat morons in Exeter anyways. Surprisingly, Exeter has the highest median family income in Washington County and I assume it is a hotbed of liberal stupidity. I would be a little surprised if this spread any farther but I would expect it to pass, traditionally the legislature has let the towns have whatever exemptions they request. A bad precedent but hopefully an outlier?

Exeter is an unusual case. They disbanded their police force years ago. I admit this bill is a bad idea but they are a bunch of moonbat morons in Exeter anyways. Surprisingly, Exeter has the highest median family income in Washington County and I assume it is a hotbed of liberal stupidity. I would be a little surprised if this spread any farther but I would expect it to pass, traditionally the legislature has let the towns have whatever exemptions they request. A bad precedent but hopefully an outlier?
They tried changing it last year to (H8120), but it didn't pass the House.
Regardless of whether they are moonbat morons or not, they still have the same rights as the rest of us in RI. At least for now..
Larry Valencia (Representative from Exeter) is the driving force behind this even if it is none of his business. He is also the sponsor of a bill that will have drones flying in RI... I think the guy is a little crazy and also a liar.

Anyway, the resolution passed and a bill will be submitted to make the Attorney General the licensing authority for Exeter. This means they are going from a Shall Issue to a May Issue and their RI constitutional rights just left Exeter (if the bill passes).

Hold on If the AG is going to be the lic authority for Exeter then wouldn't he have to follow the Shall issue as opposed to the May issue?
If not doesn't the idiots in Exeter understand that they just set president for a state take over of the town and on the other side of the coin if the state allows this then the town has set president to dump any service they do not want to supply to the state to supply. Big can of worms with no happy ending.
Dave
Dave

I haven't seen the bill yet, but I would expect that TC council members that voted for this expect the residents to apply under 11-47-18 and that the AG May Issue. Most of the Town Council (Ray M. is the ONLY one against the resolution) could not care less if their residents can not exercise their constitutional rights, or they are just too dumb to understand what they are doing...
Pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws § 11-47-18, the Attorney General may issue a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver to any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over upon a proper showing of need. This statute requires the Attorney General to deny a pistol permit to all persons who do not demonstrate a proper showing of need to carry a pistol or revolver on their person. If an individual is able to demonstrate a proper showing of need, the Attorney General then has discretion to issue or deny a pistol permit. The Providence Journal Company v. Pine, No. C.A. 96-6274, (R.I. Super. Ct., June 24, 1998). No one in the State has a right to obtain a pistol permit. A pistol permit is a privilege left to the sound discretion of the Attorney General. Id.

http://www.riag.ri.gov/documents/bci/pistols.pdf
Once Exeter cannot exercise their rights, then the rest of the State will be pushing for the same and expect a bill coming soon that will have all permit applications going to the AG.

BTW, personal protection is not a "proper showing of need" in RI according to the AG!

Back
Top Bottom