Ever had a hard time selling a gun?

I have a SA 1911-A1 that I have been thinking of selling since it doesn't get used. I just took the pics of it and now I cannot bring myself to sell it! Anyone else ever run into this problem?

The gun, for reference:

DSCN0006-1.jpg

maybe I will keep it for a while....

yes & no.

i am in a similar situation. need 2ea., optics and i have to take one of bolt guns out of commission for a while because i have send a scope for repair.

so i either
a. sell a bolt gun, get optics for both AR's
b. hold on to the night, hold onto the memory.... wait a couple months and do it all.

oh and how much? [smile]

j/k [wink] - that's a nice piece, i'd keep it.

It depends ...sell it to what end? Do you need cash for bills/bail :)/family? Do you see a different firearm that you'd prefer to own?

If none of those situations (or somewhat similar) exist, don't sell it.

If nothing else, it's fine as a stable investment, it can help to save your life and or valuables in a pinch. It doesn't really require much in the way of storage care or feeding beyond what you have already (probably) provided. And you obviously derive pleasure from looking at it.

So, why sell?

I go through it every now and then. I've gone back and forth on my M14 at least 3 times. It's stuff. Either let it go or don't, just don't let it control you.

I have a very difficult time contemplating the sale of any gun. I finally broke down and sold my Tec-9, intending to put the proceeds toward an AR upper. A gun for a gun made it a little easier. But not much. Then my well pump died and the money went toward that, instead.

[sad]

It depends ...sell it to what end? Do you need cash for bills/bail :)/family? Do you see a different firearm that you'd prefer to own?

If none of those situations (or somewhat similar) exist, don't sell it.

If nothing else, it's fine as a stable investment, it can help to save your life and or valuables in a pinch. It doesn't really require much in the way of storage care or feeding beyond what you have already (probably) provided. And you obviously derive pleasure from looking at it.

So, why sell?

My thought was to stash the money because it would be two car [payments when I go buy a new truck. I have been liquidiating most of my physical assets lately, but havent moved on to any guns yet.

I am also considering the sale to invest in gold/silver.

I donno BA2, its a nice gun but you've also got another sweet 1911. If you need the cash I'd drop either one of your multitude of glocks (sell the 33 to me!!) or one of the 1911s. The thing is, don't get rid of it till you need the $ or its inevitably going to go somewhere else. the guns won't loose their value between now and when you're ready for the cash! On a different note, I wanted to sell my M&P9c and eliminate a caliber but then the GF said it was her favorite gun to shoot and I shouldn't sell it if I want her to keep coming to the range with me [rolleyes]. Its worth keepin it to get her to go shoot!

I had a Para LDA Carry Model .45 that I had a hard time selling, no one would buy the POS. I finally traded it at FS on an M&P .45. I am now a much happier person.

Quality guns, even used ones, are a much better investment than anything else in times like these.
Keep it unless you are in a pinch.

Jack

The best advice I can give you is this;
Take my S&W 1911 and give me the Springer.
This is a sacrifice I will only make for a Green NES member.
There is no need to thank me, just knowing I'm doing the right thing is all the satisfaction I'll ever need.

Hi, my name is Bill. I'm a gun-a-holic. I have a rel hard time selling any gun unless I really, really, REALLY need the money to buy a better gun.

I don't like selling guns unless at least one of two conditions are met:

1. I don't really like shooting the thing.

2. I'm really hard up for cash.

Preferably #1. Then I don't have a problem with getting rid of it. On the other hand, anything that is fun to shoot typically stays around, although right now, #2 is a problem... blech.

-Mike

I am leaning towards selling. It is sort of redundant in my safe to be honest and Im not trying to collect guns for the sake of collecting them.

I know its a Springfield Armory, and it is a cool gun, but at the end of the day, I just dont use it as much as everything else. Hell, I prefer using my SW 1911PD.

I hate to sell guns. I think I've formulated a mental block that says "No, you cannot sell any guns. Ever." So far it has worked.

If I find something I cannot afford, I just wait a bit and buy it when I have the cash, or find some other means of finance. But selling guns is never on the table as an option.

I even have guns I don't like, never shoot and probably never will, but I can't bring myself to sell. On the other hand, the collection keeps growing, so that's something.

I hate to sell guns too, but I think I'm going to be selling an xD .40 subcompact in a few days to fund an AR... I was hoping to sell the M&P but its the GFs fave, so its a small price to pay to keep her interested to come to the range.

I would never sell a gun for a long time then I noticed I had 3 44 mag revolvers in the safe and hadn't shot two of them for a really long time. Sold them off and ordered another AR. It's easier to part with one for another then it is to just sell it for money. Remember money is evil and guns are good.

The worst part about selling is a lowball or LMAD, sell part response. For some reason there are folks that don't understand a sell price on a complete package, a matching package.

I wouldn't want to sell anything, guns especially, unless I was desperate for the money to pay for something important. The exception might be something from the back of the safe that I'd forgotten about or hasn't seen light in ten years or so! [laugh] That gun looks perfectly fine to me, I would start shooting it!

Selling guns

I have sold many many guns over the past few years and I have also bought many as well. I love this hobby or should I say passion but much to my dismay I do not have unlimited funds and therefore can not afford to keep all of the guns all the time. The manner in which I enjoy this passion so fully is that I always pass on something I have tried for something new to me and that way I have been able to enjoy much more then the average. Now I will admit every now and again I find one I just can't let go of but then I can think of 20 or more guns I have had the pleasure of owning because of the 1 or 2 nice ones that I did pass on. I have made money and at times I have taken that all to familiar loss but I have loved every minute of both the ups and downs of this passion.
I would say if you have not found something you like better and you do not need the cash then it is not yet time to let this one go!
I have 5 handguns and 2 rifles that I absolutely will not part with but I have owned more then 30 units in just the past 6 months. All I can say is go with your heart. This is truly my passion, and I hope you enjoy it as well for many years to come.
Dan Horta
A.K.A. "THE GUN WHORE"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom