• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ESS Crossbow VS Oakley SI Ballistic M Frame 2.0

Dear All,

I've been looking to get the best eyewear and have stopped on those two. I know ESS is part of Oakley but both companies offer theirs as superior.

So the choice is between:

1) ESS Crossbow 3LS Sunglasses with three lenses: Clear, Smoke Gray and Hi-Def Yellow
2) Oakley SI Ballistic M Frame 2.0 Strike Array - 3 Lenses: Grey, Clear & VR28 Lens

So which is better: better viewing, better protection, better uv protection, etc; and why?

Thanks in advance

Buy the ones that fit you best and/or you like the looks of best. I pretty much stick to Oakleys, but at the end of the day, almost all the sunglasses out there are made by Luxottica. From what I have been reading as far as UV goes, not much difference, protection is about equal but will vary mostly based on coverage,

Both ESS and Oakley are owned by the same parent company. Of course they are going to say they are the better product but like BFM said, they are pretty much the same.

Personally I wear Oakleys but that is because I prefer the styling and they have been nothing but good to me. I have 5 pair nad they have all taken a beating over the years with nothing more then a lens change every blue moon.

I have the Crossbow 3LS and have been happy so far. (just got them in early June) These are my first set of "real" shooting glasses so I can't compare them to anything other than generic safetely glasses, so it's really no contest, lol. They win!

I'd be happy to let you check them out for fit if you like. Going to the GOAL event or the Gunpowderpig event?

I doubt because ESS Crossbow have anti-fog cover from inside, but Oakley have better UV protection and such minor differences... But I can buy different lenses from Oakley's site such as polarized, for driving, etc and use them in variety of cases and ESS have only 3 lenses but with better anti-scratch and anti-fog cover as I've read?

ESS seem to wrap around further and Oakley come down lower. I would go with what ever fit you better depending on the shape of your face.

Actually, here is the best way to decide. Ask you significant other (or random person you find atractive at the sunglass store) which looks best on you. In case of random stranger, see if you can use intro to get a date. If married, do not mention second part to spouse.

There is definintely a serious antifog coating on the inside...you can feel the difference in the surface when you clean them.

FWIW - I keep mine in the range bag. I keep my sunglasses in the house or car. [smile]

I have the older Ballistic M frame with both new black and clear lenses that i got on ebay for 33$ and yes they are offical oakleys, I didnt like the look of the new ones with the bumps around the eye brows. I like them

I just purchased the Rudy Project frames. Did some research and their ImpactX lenses are top notch. The fit was great, and I got the 5 lens pack. So I now have clear, yellow, photochromatic gray, polarized gray, and golfer green. 3 for shooting, 1 for fishing, 1 for golf. good mix in my opinion :)

Back
Top Bottom