Epi-pens?

The Group Buy on first aid kits has me thinking and instead of cluttering up that thread I thought I'd ask here.

Can someone clue me in on Epi-Pens?

Are they prescription only? Any over the counter versions?

Are there different pens for different allergies?

I would assume there is a shelf life to them, is it months or years?

Are there dangers in giving someone the injection? Allegy to the pen? Not having an allergic reactions but got the shot anyway?

TIA

Only in prescription... next best thing, IMHO is a big bottle of benydryl. or other anti-histamine; unless you happen to be lucky enough to get a script...then stock up.

The Group Buy on first aid kits has me thinking and instead of cluttering up that thread I thought I'd ask here.

Can someone clue me in on Epi-Pens?

Are they prescription only? Any over the counter versions?

Are there different pens for different allergies?

I would assume there is a shelf life to them, is it months or years?

Are there dangers in giving someone the injection? Allegy to the pen? Not having an allergic reactions but got the shot anyway?

TIA

Prescription required.
They treat anaphylaxis - a systemic allergic reaction that causes hives, blood vessel dilation leading to dangerous drop in blood pressure and swelling of the airway.

There is a shelf life to them.

The pen will increase heart rate and blood pressure. It would be like when you feel a surge of adrenaline in your body during a fight or flight moment. It will open up an airway that would otherwise swell closed.

The effects of epinephrine are temporary, you still have to get to an emergency room and be monitored for a while.

If someone had a bad enough heart condition, I imagine it could do some harm. I mean, you do hear about people having heart attacks when under stress. Epinephrine is just like adrenaline, it triggers a stress response.

Benadryl is your over the counter friend for allergic reactions.

If you are worried about severe allergic reactions, talk to an MD and get a prescription and instruction for Epinephrine.

Oh yeah, one other thing, accidentally injecting the 1/1000 concentration directly into a blood vessel.... Well, let me tell you. That would really suck. Massive Heart Attack.

Last edited:
If you are worried about severe allergic reactions, talk to an MD and get a prescription and instruction for Epinephrine.

Thanks for the run down. It wouldn't be for me. It would be an addition to a first aid kit. I'll pursue the Benadryl idea.

Thanks

Shelf life is about a year. Script isn't that hard to get. Just tell your PCP that you have a bee allergy since you were a teen and you just joined a hiking club to get more exercise and don't like the idea of being far from civilization without it.

Child versions are in 2 packs which are half the adult dose, so you can use it for both.

sadly, they are expensive. About $100 if your insurance doesn't cover it.

Also, if you leave it in the heat, it will discolor (and be useless) much faster.

In the case of severe allergy, it is one of the best solutions. Frankly, I would not go anywhere without it.

The EpiPens we get in from our distributers often don't even have a year before they expire. We can't ask for further away dates, either - they send what they have.
Both the Jr (.15 mg) and the adult dose (.3 mg epinephrine) come in single and double packs.
Most people seem to keep them in their glove compartment which shortens the shelf life on them.

You are thinking of the Atropen:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-148309-AtroPen+IM.aspx?drugid=148309&drugname=AtroPen+IM

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2003/17106se5-028_atroPen_lbl.pdf

There is no way your getting your hands on one of those. It would very hard (if not imposisble) to obtain atropine for personal use out side of a hospital or ambulance. It just isn't needed for the general public. Atropine and Epinephrine are different drugs but in the same neighborhood and have very different missions.

Epipens will not help you in a chemical attack, etc.

Last edited:
1.) Epi-pens are a Rx medication. Serious stuff. 2.) Two major manufacturers of Epinephrine auto injectors: Epi-Pen and the newer Twin-ject. 3.) Epinephrine works to relax the smooth muscle tissue that is found in your airway and respiratory tract. A side effect is increased Heart Rate, Heart Contractility (BP), and Respiratory Rate. 4.) Depending on your physical condition/history, it is possible that Epi may cause a heat attack; however, if your airway closes due to anaphylaxis you will be dead. 5.) Epi is short acting and does not reverse anaphylaxis, Epi acts on the smooth muscle tissue in your airway. The effect is temporary. Immediate emergency medical treatment is needed for anaphylaxis. 6.) EMTs and Paramedics have in depth training on the Massachusetts OEMS Protocols for the administration of Epinephrine, I would not fool around with Epi without training, understanding signs and symptoms, contraindications, etc. Ask your Doctor if Benadryl liquid is right for you. Not only is it flavored for kids, but adults can ingest without water or if swallowing a pill becomes difficult. I am allergic to Yellow Jackets and personally carry Epi and Benadryl Liquid when I am offshore or hanging around the dumpster. Consult with your medical professional. [smile]EMS WEEK IS MAY 17 - MAY 23, 2009. THANK THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE TASKED WITH SAVING YOUR LIFE, AND ARE UNDERPAID.[smile] Give to the Boston Emergency Medical Services Relief Association http://www.bemsra.org/

1.) Epi-pens are a Rx medication. Serious stuff. 2.) Two major manufacturers of Epinephrine auto injectors: Epi-Pen and the newer Twin-ject. 3.) Epinephrine works to relax the smooth muscle tissue that is found in your airway and respiratory tract. A side effect is increased Heart Rate, Heart Contractility (BP), and Respiratory Rate. 4.) Depending on your physical condition/history, it is possible that Epi may cause a heat attack; however, if your airway closes due to anaphylaxis you will be dead. 5.) Epi is short acting and does not reverse anaphylaxis, Epi acts on the smooth muscle tissue in your airway. The effect is temporary. Immediate emergency medical treatment is needed for anaphylaxis. 6.) EMTs and Paramedics have in depth training on the Massachusetts OEMS Protocols for the administration of Epinephrine, I would not fool around with Epi without training, understanding signs and symptoms, contraindications, etc. Ask your Doctor if Benadryl liquid is right for you. Not only is it flavored for kids, but adults can ingest without water or if swallowing a pill becomes difficult. I am allergic to Yellow Jackets and personally carry Epi and Benadryl Liquid when I am offshore or hanging around the dumpster. Consult with your medical professional. [smile]EMS WEEK IS MAY 17 - MAY 23, 2009. THANK THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE TASKED WITH SAVING YOUR LIFE, AND ARE UNDERPAID.[smile] Give to the Boston Emergency Medical Services Relief Association http://www.bemsra.org/

We carry epi pens. Which reminds me I need to get a new script. Our son is very allergic, but our doc also has no problem prescribing them, because as she says we probably won't need them,but we may need them for someone else.

Epipens are prescription only.

As for expiration dates, first off...Make an effort to speak to the pharmacist when dropping off your prescription. Ask for the one with the longest expiration.

When I worked in retail pharmacy, I would always call my distributor and ask for ones with the longest expiration on them. The ones I would get would tend to be good for at least 14 months, if not longer.

Lastly, I'm not giving any official advice here, but...

The expiration dates that are on medications are dates that the manufacturer of the drug can guarantee 100% potency for...Typically, if the drug is stored appropriately, they can last (and be just as effective) beyond the expiration date that's on the package.

The expiration dates that are on medications are dates that the manufacturer of the drug can guarantee 100% potency for...Typically, if the drug is stored appropriately, they can last (and be just as effective) beyond the expiration date that's on the package.

Unfortunately, epi-pens are probably an exception to this rule. I know there are cases out there of people dying after an inert/expired epi-pen didn't work. [sad]

Proper storage is obviously very important too.....

You have to keep em outta extreme heat and sunlight. even then we have to swap em out of our ambulances every few months.. I would surmise though that if kept in a cool dark and dry environ it would prolong the effectiveness beyond the exp. date... but like stated before benadryl would be your best bet. 25-50mg. is our dose range.. but in true anaphalxsis it might not be enuf...

My OP was with the intention of adding it to a First Aid kit. Being prescription, it's frailty to harsh enviroments and short shelf life, it would not be a good addition to a First Aid kit that is left in a car.

I learned alot from everyone.... Thanks [smile]

I just got one in Feb and the expiration is October. So it's only good for 8 months. Fortunately my insurance covers most of the cost.

I get weekly allergy shots for seasonal allergies. I have the option of doing the shots myself at home, but the doctor requires that an Epi-pen be on hand to do so. The doctor gave me a DVD for proper usage, it isn't that difficult. As others have said the effects are only temporary and is only meant to keep you from dying on the way to the hospital.

Knock on wood I don't have any allergies to insects, medicine or food. Especially since I like to eat, and I've been stung by just about every insect in this area.

Back
Top Bottom