Entry Level Bowhunting Package

Im looking to try bowhunting this year, and have no idea where to start. Im looking for suggestions on what I might be able to get for $500 or less ready to hunt. I know Ill be going to an archery shop when I actually have cash in hand to do it, but for now Im just trying to do research on what I should be looking at.

I'd go to a pro shop if I were you, just to be sized up (draw length) for a bow with a release on. I bought a bow tech tom kat which was made in 2007 for $450 off of ebay. I've shot the new bows at some of the local shops and really loved most of them but, I wasn't willing to spend $1,500 on a bow if I wasn't going to like shooting it. I could use that money on something that goes bang [mg]. I've been shooting for a few months now and I love it. I went turkey hunting with it this year and got my 2nd bird with it, and I've also shot a Robbin Hood @25 yards. Also the 3d shoots are pretty cool too.

You can get 1/2 dozen carbon arrows for about 40-50$. Release goes for about 30$ and you'll need a quiver to hold your arrows in. This is assuming you already have sights and a rest for the bow. If you can pull 60-70lbs bow with a 65% let off you can kill anything from a turkey to black bear to an ellk. Newer bows have up 85-90% let off I think. The pull weight is the amount of force it takes to pull the string back and the let off is when the weight get's easier to pull and hold it for a minute or two. I forgot to mention to get a compound bow.

Last edited:
Bear archery has the Bear Strike ready to hunt package
foe 499.00. Not a bad bow, quiet but it does lack the speed
of other bows. Then arrows and a release,another hondo.
If you live in the south shore try The Outdoor Sportsmen in Hanson.

Last edited:
Go to a Pro shop. Not Dick's or KTP or similar. Do not order off the net until you know what you want.
PS-Going Friday night? Let me know, I still have your knife!

So if I can get sized up correctly.Either at archery shop or someone who knows how. and get the poundage right it doesnt hurt me to buy something online instead of at a store?

firestorm, If you have never set up a bow before, save yourself a lot of time and head to a local shop or at the very least, get with someone with experience.
There are a lot of little things that add up like spline weight of arrows, point weight, fletching weight, nock point all have an influence and one will affect the others, it's all a balancing act. If your near NW CT, feel free to contact me.

I will also throw out the Martin Bengal as a nice, mid range priced bow, mine is more then getting the job done. Bow, sight, and a dozen carbons was right at $500

Yeah, Either I have to nail down one of the guys I know who has been bowhunting a while, or im going to shoot over to reedys i think and get set up

See Carl at reedys and he'll take care of you and not pressure you along with plenty of knowledge on a set up . I started there with a entry level PSE which was fine and gave me a chance to see if i wanted to continue without breaking the bank. I now shoot a Matthews Drenalin and have been hooked ever since . Getting started bowhunting can get expensive but for me it has been all worth it. Especially considering i still have some venison in the freezer right now . Will help any way i can but Reedys has always treated me good .

+1 to Reedy's if you ask for Carl you may get 3 guys looking at you. Really good guys there and they know what they're talking about. C3 will most likey be the one setting you up. If you buy from them you shoot for free at their 20 yard range. Trader Jan's in fall river has a 40 yrd range and a video screen shoot. For a hunting bow go to Reedy's or you may take a chance with a bow on-line but the 1st thing I would do to a used bow is replace the stings and cables cost is around $120+.

Last edited:
Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford, Ma is also a great pro shop. I believe he carries Hoyt and PSE. Both Jerry and Rick are very knowledgeable.

Reedys is the place to go very good an knowledgeable people I have bought my last 3 Mathews from them and even though they are a good 50 mins or so from me I will go no where else

Consider going traditional. I shoot a recurve bow. I think its more of a challenge than a compound bow. Plus, its easier to shoot small game because you can get a shot off faster shooting instinctive.

I'd go to a pro shop if I were you, just to be sized up (draw length) for a bow with a release on. I bought a bow tech tom kat which was made in 2007 for $450 off of ebay. I've shot the new bows at some of the local shops and really loved most of them but, I wasn't willing to spend $1,500 on a bow if I wasn't going to like shooting it. I could use that money on something that goes bang [mg]. I've been shooting for a few months now and I love it. I went turkey hunting with it this year and got my 2nd bird with it, and I've also shot a Robbin Hood @25 yards. Also the 3d shoots are pretty cool too.

You can get 1/2 dozen carbon arrows for about 40-50$. Release goes for about 30$ and you'll need a quiver to hold your arrows in. This is assuming you already have sights and a rest for the bow. If you can pull 60-70lbs bow with a 65% let off you can kill anything from a turkey to black bear to an ellk. Newer bows have up 85-90% let off I think. The pull weight is the amount of force it takes to pull the string back and the let off is when the weight get's easier to pull and hold it for a minute or two. I forgot to mention to get a compound bow.

By all means, go to a local pro shop (perhaps struggling to survive against BPS etc.), then give your business to the cheapest guy on ebay.

Then maybe when the pro shop is out of business, you can send your bow the ebay retailer for a tune-up or repair.

Don't take this personally, it just chaps my a$$ that so many people don't blink an eye over utilizing the resources of local merchants, while balking at the prices they have to charge to maintain the facility for your convenience.

+2 reedy's don't think carl is any more, but any of them staff will help you. Look a a Parker Wildfire, I got my newphew one as his 1st bow very good price 400.00 all setup. get 1st bow or as a cheeper pack that will do the trick on any northeast game for not a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom