Enfield

I really don't think the Enfield action would be suitable for the preasures generated by the .338. I understand the British made some chambered in 7.62x51, but I'm not sure if anything larger would be prudent.

The P13 Enfield would likely be strong enough.
At the cost of labor these days, a Savage .338 factory rifle would probably be cheaper.

Jack

Yes, the Pattern 13/14 and the 1917 Enfield have been converted to all sorts of different calibers over the years and they are very stong actions. The OP didn't specify what he had but since he mentioned it was from 1953 I assume it to be some flavor (or as the Brits would spell it - flavour?) of No. 4.

No. 4's are nice rifles - even a "sporterized" one is a good find if it is not too badly Bubbaed. Not a good action to start with to build a .338 Lapua, though, in my opinion.

A 98 Mauser action would be a better fit IMHO; if it supports the length of the .338.
In case you're going this route, look for a 1909 Argentino action for the flip bottom of the mag.

Have seen one for sale, Just wondered if 303 became scarce (kinda like 54r is turning into, watched a vid of a smith turning a mosen into a 45-70) what local caliber could it be turned into.
I picked it up and loved the action but do not love the round.

Have seen one for sale, Just wondered if 303 became scarce (kinda like 54r is turning into, watched a vid of a smith turning a mosen into a 45-70) what local caliber could it be turned into.
I picked it up and loved the action but do not love the round.

Just curious, but what don't you like about the .303? It may not be the flattest shooting or hardest hitting cartridge going, but it has held it's own remarkably well for something that came into service in 1888.

As far as other calibers that might be able to be adapted th the Enfield, there is the 7.62x51 (.308 Win.) as previously mentioned, and some SMLEs were converted to .410 Gauge (for use in India by some accounts).

A quick Google search also mentioned some success with conversions to 54r and .30-40 Krag. You are not really getting much of a performance upgrade with these two calibers over the .303 though. The only benefit to 54r is more readily available ammo.

In the long run, it would probably be cheaper and easier to keep it in .303 and learn to handload for it.

Don't even think about it.

I'm a huge Lee-Enfield fan. It's a much stronger action than they're given credit for, but a .338 Lapua is almost twice the energy of a .303 British round.

Back
Top Bottom