Enfield Question

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Last year I picked up a very nice Enfield Ishi 2A and I stripped her down, took off the crappy paint and cleaned up the stock to remove a lot of the grit and dirt. Once it was completed she looked really good.

100_1555.jpg

I then took her to the range and started seeing how well she could shoot. As I shot her I was happy with the accuracy. What I was not happy with was that the stock started to fall apart on me. I tried to repair the stock, but the wood had become oily with cosmo from being stored all those years and no matter what I did the repairs always came apart after the first few shots.

Figured at that point I needed a replacement stock. After searching for a while I gave up trying to find a 2A stock and looked for alternatives. At the Marlboro gun show last year I ran across a guy selling a No1 Mk 5 stock in great shape for pretty cheap. I bought it and once home started swapping out the stocks. Everything fit perfectly, except the butt plate. They were completely different. I ended up putting the original butt stock back on, but the stock colors are way off as the 2A stock is reddish and the No 1 stock is brown. I'm heading to Marlboro this weekend to see if I can find a butt plate for the No 1.

My question though is short of taking the butt stock with me to the show, what should I be looking for so I can identify the different Enfield butt plates? It's not exactly something that the internet sites explains very well.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom