• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Elk

peterk123

NES Member
So small word. I am at my house working cutting baseboard for the floor when I get a call. It is a hunting buddy from Mass. He asks me if I would be willing to help his buddy that just shot an elk in Montana. I was like, "sure". So he connects us via text, including gps coordinates. The drive to the trailhead is only twenty minutes from my house. I grab my son in law and off we go. 1.5 mile hike up some steep terrain that is as thick as can be. We spent the next six hours butchering and hauling. We got it all out in two trips. It was a great experience. I learned a lot and realized I can throw 60 pounds on my back and hike out. Next year I will have the time and opportunity to do it myself!

20210911_120948.jpg

Can I ask that - how bad is the brain worm thing here lately in older elks?

I like smoked meat but I have heard twice now it is not safe anymore? Or is it blown out of proportion, the whole parasite issue?

That’s awesome. Me and a buddy spent seven days in CO last year, backpacking at 9,000-12,000’. No shots taken but it was an incredible trip.
In assuming you are talking about CWD. It's around but not as bad as it you may think. There is no evidence that affects humans. You can have your animal tested by the state for peace of mind.

In assuming you are talking about CWD. It's around but not as bad as it you may think. There is no evidence that affects humans. You can have your animal tested by the state for peace of mind.
Umm. Nope. No CWD concerns at all. We got into units 65/62, 3-4 days after opener. Lots of hunters. We got into some cows & bulls on day 3-4, never saw an elk except on private along the road....We worked our asses off and enjoyed every day....

Umm. Nope. No CWD concerns at all. We got into units 65/62, 3-4 days after opener. Lots of hunters. We got into some cows & bulls on day 3-4, never saw an elk except on private along the road....We worked our asses off and enjoyed every day....
Oops... i quoted the wrong post......
Can I ask that - how bad is the brain worm thing here lately in older elks?

I like smoked meat but I have heard twice now it is not safe anymore? Or is it blown out of proportion, the whole parasite issue?

Back
Top Bottom