Electronic Muff Fit

So is it bad i can touch my ear through the backside of the muff?

I haven't tried them out shooting yet, i can still hear my girlfriend ok when they they're not turned on...which is unfortunate.

Am I stuck with plugs? I cant stand things in my ears.

So is it bad i can touch my ear through the backside of the muff?

I haven't tried them out shooting yet, i can still hear my girlfriend ok when they they're not turned on...which is unfortunate.

Am I stuck with plugs? I cant stand things in my ears.

I'd recommend against just using plugs, especially indoors. Plugs still allow the sound to conduct through the bone surrounding your ear and cause damage. I'm no audiologist, but I did shoot 155mm artillery for 4 years, so I have some personal experience with hearing damage. Even some cheap muffs from Home Depot will be better than plugs alone.

I bought some Howard Leight Impact Sports. I keep playing with them, I got them to work/fit better. I think i'll buy some plugs and compare the two.
[rolleyes]

I bought some Howard Leight Impact Sports. I keep playing with them, I got them to work/fit better. I think i'll buy some plugs and compare the two.
[rolleyes]

Angle the tops of them back a little bit. Or are your ears like this?
ferengi.jpg

Cheap electronic muffs? CHEAP - period.

I won't use electronic muffs because the NRR - which is what counts - is only in the low to mid 20's for even the best ones. Instead of paying $100+ for inferior protection, I have NRR 33 muffs that cost about $30.

I generally wear plugs under them as well. Comped and ported pistols are VERY loud.

>>I bought some Howard Leight Impact Sports.<<

I too got a pair, but can't get them to work properly. They amplify just fine, but don't attenuate when the should. (or at all) I also got a pair of cheap Caldwell muffs on sale at Midway, and the work great. Guess I'll have to send the H.L. back for a replacement. (Cabelas)

Last edited:
To add further insult i tried the Winchester ones at walmart on, which cost $7. They fit awesome. Arg

Back
Top Bottom