Electronic components Springfield Metro area

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I used to have a Radio Shack near me that I used to go to for electronic components but they are now gone. Who do you guys use for resisters, caps, and other components?

I have been playing around with old tube radios and there is a tube supplier nearby but ordering components online gets expensive pretty quick.

Thanks,

Bob

Real local component shops are going the way of real local butchers... Dying breed.
On this end of the state, there's You Do It Electronics. Besides that, I know of nothing in all of Massachusetts.

Tubes, other electronic components, and butcher shops in one thread. Am I the only one who thought of Skysoldier?

I repair all types of guitar and bass amps and have been doing it for about 25 years. I have watched most of the local parts shops go by the wayside over the years...I will occasionally hit up radio shack near me for fuses or other common parts I may not have at hand for one reason or another...I purchase 99% of my parts on line now...a few places I have accounts with are Antique Radio Supply, New Sensor, Tube Depot, Parts Express and MCM.

Solid state parts and other parts not carried by any of those just listed I get either from Digikey, Mouser or Newark.

There is a place in Manchester, NH named ESS (Electronic Surplus and Salvage)...they will sometimes have something I need but I always call first because it's usually a crapshoot otherwise. I also try to get to both Nearfests with a list of parts I'm getting low on and I will sometimes hit a jackpot.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the responses. I use some of the suppliers you mentioned. I was hoping that there might be someone local.

I remember when Signal Supply was in Springfield. Those days are gone.[sad2]

Bob

Remember Poly Pacs in the 70s and 80s? I think they were in the Burlington Mass area

Remember Poly Pacs in the 70s and 80s? I think they were in the Burlington Mass area

I don't. I am from the Springfield metro area and Signal always had what I needed and they would order it for me if wasn't a stock item.

I was shocked when the state notified me that they were discontinuing the TV Technician license last Fall

Poly Paks were in Lynnfield Ma.

I probably STILL have stuff around here that I bought from them in the 70's and 80's.

A page from one of their ads:

73_aug75_polypaks.jpg

When I need a small quantity of cheap components, I order from All Electronics. They often have interesting random electronics surplus.

There is a place in Manchester, NH named ESS (Electronic Surplus and Salvage)...they will sometimes have something I need but I always call first because it's usually a crapshoot otherwise. I also try to get to both Nearfests with a list of parts I'm getting low on and I will sometimes hit a jackpot.

Thanks for the suggestion of ESS, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Gerber Electronics downsized a year or so ago. I caught them at the right time, walked out of their warehouse with tools and misc. components, ladder line cable for pennies on the dollar.

When I need a small quantity of cheap components, I order from All Electronics. They often have interesting random electronics surplus.

Thanks for the suggestion of ESS, I'll definitely have to check them out.

They used to be in one of the mill buildings off Granite Ave and it was fun to explore through all the crap...um, piles of stuff, that they had squirrelled away in dark corners. I walked out with a 240VAC 20amp Variac for $20. There are still deals to be had there but they are much smaller and on the other side of town on Candia Road.

All Electronics is another place I order from sometimes, also Surplus sales of Nebraska.

I have used Jameco Electronics, Marlin P. Jones & Assoc. Inc. and Radio Shack on line for parts and yes it is more expensive, however there are no electronics stores in our area.
I have also found a still open Radio Shack and have purchased some components from them. The manager told me they would not be closing and they would be stocking more stuff.
This Radio Shack is in Chicopee in the same plaza as Home Depot and Walmart .I also live tn the Greater Springfield area. We may know each other.

KC1ABV look me up on QRZ or give me a call on the Mt Tom Repeater 146940, or on 40 meter 7.185

I have used Jameco Electronics, Marlin P. Jones & Assoc. Inc. and Radio Shack on line for parts and yes it is more expensive, however there are no electronics stores in our area.
I have also found a still open Radio Shack and have purchased some components from them. The manager told me they would not be closing and they would be stocking more stuff.
This Radio Shack is in Chicopee in the same plaza as Home Depot and Walmart .I also live tn the Greater Springfield area. We may know each other.

KC1ABV look me up on QRZ or give me a call on the Mt Tom Repeater 146940, or on 40 meter 7.185

I thought that the Radio Shack in Chicopee closed. When I drive by there are a crap load of Sprint signs on the glass so I thought that the space had been taken over by Sprint. I went in today and I guess that they have some sort of space sharing deal. At least I was able to put up some heat shrink tubing and some replacement knobs for my Variac isolation transformer to replace a broken one.

We may very well know each other.
I have had my ham ticket for many years now but I haven't been active in ages.

Thanks,

Bob

Back
Top Bottom