• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Electrified Trump sign in yard

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I see a lot of youtube videos and facebook videos of people who have electrified their Trump signs so that people get a shock when they try to steal them.

My feeling is that in Mass you would get arrested for that if someone got shocked, does anyone know the law on something like this?

Katko v. Briney ruled against setting deadly traps, not sure about less than lethal traps...

Not that I agree with it one bit, but in MA they’d more than likely hang you out to dry for any type of boobytrapped device.

Responding cops most likely won’t care, and probably get a good laugh out of it at the thief’s expense. But going up the ladder the supervisor will smell lawsuit all day long and force the issue to some kind of charge against the home owner just to cover their (supervisor) ass.

Higher up the chain when it gets into the local news and then onto a new ADA’s desk trying to make a name, then into the court system with highly biased liberal judges, they’d for sure try to make an example out of you for purposely intending to cause harm to protect a 5.00 paper sign. I just can’t see this going well for anybody in this state.

The last line of this article killed me. " At this rate, it’s tough to say whose chances are worse: a Trump sign in Massachusetts, or the candidate himself in November. "

How'd that work out?

Booby Traps Law and Legal Definition

A booby trap may be defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases.
If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.
The Geneva Convention, which applies to law governing wars, deals with booby traps as follows:
Without prejudice to the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict relating to treachery and perfidy, it is prohibited in all circumstances to use:
a. any booby-trap in the form of an apparently harmless portable object which is specifically designed and constructed to contain explosive material and to detonate when it is disturbed or approached, or
b. booby-traps which are in any way attached to or associated with:
1. internationally recognized protective emblems, signs or signals;
2. sick, wounded or dead persons;
3. burial or cremation sites or graves;
4. medical facilities, medical equipment, medical supplies or medical transportation;
5. children's toys or other portable objects or products specially designed for the feeding, health, hygiene, clothing or education of children;
6. food or drink;
7. kitchen utensils or appliances except in military establishments, military locations or military supply depots;
8. objects clearly of a religious nature;
9. historic monuments, works of art or places or worship which constitute the cultural or spiritual heritage of peoples;
10. animals or their carcasses.
It is prohibited in all circumstances to use any booby-trap which is designed to cause superfluous injury or necessary suffering."

Not that I agree with it one bit, but in MA they’d more than likely hang you out to dry for any type of boobytrapped device.

Responding cops most likely won’t care, and probably get a good laugh out of it at the thief’s expense. But going up the ladder the supervisor will smell lawsuit all day long and force the issue to some kind of charge against the home owner just to cover their (supervisor) ass.

Higher up the chain when it gets into the local news and then onto a new ADA’s desk trying to make a name, then into the court system with highly biased liberal judges, they’d for sure try to make an example out of you for purposely intending to cause harm to protect a 5.00 paper sign. I just can’t see this going well for anybody in this state.
I would build the sign into a fence and electrify it... with warning signs, lol. If they’re still dumb enough to touch it, too bad...

Booby Traps Law and Legal Definition

A booby trap may be defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases.
If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.
The Geneva Convention, which applies to law governing wars, deals with booby traps as follows:
Without prejudice to the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict relating to treachery and perfidy, it is prohibited in all circumstances to use:
a. any booby-trap in the form of an apparently harmless portable object which is specifically designed and constructed to contain explosive material and to detonate when it is disturbed or approached, or
b. booby-traps which are in any way attached to or associated with:
1. internationally recognized protective emblems, signs or signals;
2. sick, wounded or dead persons;
3. burial or cremation sites or graves;
4. medical facilities, medical equipment, medical supplies or medical transportation;
5. children's toys or other portable objects or products specially designed for the feeding, health, hygiene, clothing or education of children;
6. food or drink;
7. kitchen utensils or appliances except in military establishments, military locations or military supply depots;
8. objects clearly of a religious nature;
9. historic monuments, works of art or places or worship which constitute the cultural or spiritual heritage of peoples;
10. animals or their carcasses.
It is prohibited in all circumstances to use any booby-trap which is designed to cause superfluous injury or necessary suffering."
Lawyers kill all the good fun

I would build the sign into a fence and electrify it... with warning signs, lol. If they’re still dumb enough to touch it, too bad...

Now you’re talking, always working the problem Michael, you’re a good man. 🍻😎

these videos ALMOST make me wish I didnt live in the woods with almost zero outsider traffic after Labor Day.

However, I could set up a booby trapped sign in my front yard and video tape my Labtard stepdaughter trying to take it, but then I will just end up paying some sort of medical bill Im sure.

A nice livestock electric fence ribbon would be perfect. Spray a nice layer of contact adhesive to the back and stick it on. It woun't hurt you but you wont go touching it again.

I thought you meant 'electrified' like this...
1598994371155.png

I see a lot of youtube videos and facebook videos of people who have electrified their Trump signs so that people get a shock when they try to steal them.

My feeling is that in Mass you would get arrested for that if someone got shocked, does anyone know the law on something like this?
booby traps are definitely illegal in MA. Everything is illegal in MA.

Back
Top Bottom