Elderly Maine Woman With Handgun Sets Off Metal Detector

Imelda Yorkus says she forgot she had the loaded weapon when she entered a government building.

By CRAIG CROSBY, Kennebec Journal

January 6, 2010

AUGUSTA — An 82-year-old woman from Whitefield was charged Tuesday with trying to enter the Edmund S. Muskie Federal Building with a loaded handgun.

Imelda M. Yorkus was issued a summons charging her with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, said Augusta police Sgt. Christopher Massey.

Security officers discovered the gun about 1:30 p.m., when it set off a metal detector as Yorkus tried enter the federal building, Massey said.

He said Yorkus was trying to find the post office.

Yorkus made no attempt to hide the gun after setting off the detector, Massey said.

"She disclosed she had it," he said. "I think she forgot she had it."

Security detained Yorkus until Augusta police arrived. Officers questioned Yorkus and released her after charging her and confiscating the gun, Massey said.

"She was cooperative," Massey said. "There was no evidence to suggest she had any malicious intention. She was detained a bit and was ultimately released."

Yorkus would have faced charges even if she had a permit, Massey said. "Even with a concealed-weapons permit, you can't go into a federal building with a gun."

Yorkus, who was still distraught over the incident when contacted by telephone at her home Tuesday, said she usually carries the gun only around the house.

She said she typically puts the gun away before leaving home, but she forgot to do so on Tuesday.

Yorkus said there is a reason she carries the gun at home, but she declined to be specific.

"I made a stupid mistake, it's that simple," she said. "After all these years, I forgot."

We need to get this dangerous gun-toting terrorist off the streets, I hope they throw the book at her! [wink]

Anyone around who can check the Muskie building for proper notice? Under 18 USC 930 (h), you can only be convicted if notice is "posted conspicuously at each public entrance".

Of course, Maine could still whack her for carrying concealed without a license.

Back
Top Bottom