Efficient Gas Siphons

I am interested in adding a QUALITY Gas siphon to my survival kit and for use to re fuel a Generator from my vehicle's tank and into a gas can.

A check of the search function only yielded one topic two years old on the "Super Siphon". Has anyone used the Super Siphon? Any comments? Price seems cheap enough, but does it work as advertised?

Has anyone bought a pump they can recomend? Or even one that can be built without too much difficulty ? Perhaps a DIY video to help in assembling it?

Thanks for your help.

Own a Super Siphon and use multiple times per month to fill the truck from 5gal NATO Jerry cans.
Very much worth the <$10 I paid at Amazon.
The only two problems with the Super Siphon are:
#1. You do need a little free room in the can to start the siphon. So if 5gal can has less than 1 gallon of fluid in it, it won't always start.
#2. Doesn't always drain to the last drop as hose can curl. To solve this, take a short length of PVC pipe that will fit into the mouth of the can and has a large enough ID to fit the siphon hose. This creates a straight path all the way to the bottom of the can and keeps the curling hose from lifting up off the bottom.

I have a few Super Siphons, and over the years I’ve used various cheap pumps and spouts. All cheap pumps leaked and did not work well. A quality NATO spout works really well if the filler neck is wide enough and comfortably located. Also if the can is not overfilled. Otherwise it is very tricky or even impossible to refill.

SS is by far the simplest and most convenient way to go. But… the hose is made of some cheap plastic and in the winter in turns into rock. So you’ll have to fight with it. In the summer when it is hot, the hose is nice and soft and easy to work with. The 1.5g is made of plastic and will fit any filler neck. The 3.5g is made of brass/copper, but the ½” hose will not fit into some cars. The flow clamp is helpful because sometimes it is difficult to know when you should pullout the hose from the can. Cabela's has 1.5g for $5 and BassPro has 3.5g for $7.

Most modern cars 96-2011 cannot be siphoned due to a check valve in the gas tank better off punch a hole in the tank since most are plastic and there is no danger of explosion.

Cabelas has a nifty siphons hose for about 5 bucks

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Supe...&Ntt=siphons&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

s7_523699_999_01

Most modern cars 96-2011 cannot be siphoned due to a check valve in the gas tank better off punch a hole in the tank since most are plastic and there is no danger of explosion.

I did not know that. So when everyone says when they need gas for the generator, they will just siphon it out of theri truck. That does not sound like it will be happening ?

The Super Siphon was one that I was looking at. Good to know that is does work. The quality of it does not sound to be the greatest.

Is there a better/more expensive option out there than the Super Siphon? Anyone ?

Here's what I'm doing:

I'm buying a 2010 Ford F150 fuel pump and mounting it to a board. It will be wired with both 12V cigarette lighter plug and alligator clamps to go directly on a battery. I'm attaching 8 feet of tubing on the inflow and outflow.

The whole thing will be stored in a small Coleman-type cooler.

With this setup I'll be able to power it up with my truck and transfer fuel from one container to another, and have a spare fuel pump in case I need it in a SHTF situation.

My buddy rigged one up and it works great.

Figures ... my first post on a gun forum is automotive related ... (I'm a mechanic).

A tip for siphoning: You don't have to siphon by mouth if you have compressed air.

Just blast the air (using any air nozzle) at the correct angle across the end of the tube, while holding it lower than the fuel of course, and the siphon will start nice & easy -- no swallowing gas.

Get a portable air tank & keep it with your fuel tanks & hose, if you don't have a compressor ... then when you go to fuel up, air up the tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom