• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gas Mask?

The last thread I found was 3 years old so figured I would start another.

I have known the country is going to hell but the BS with the AG this week made me realize how fast it is going there. It has really opened my eyes to how ill prepared I really am. I am making a list of things and prioritizing them... One thing I want to get for my wife, son, and I is some gas masks. I am mostly looking for defense against tear gas and pepper spray. I don't have the money to invest in full out chem gear and if we get to that point sucking on the barrel of a gun is probably the only real way out. I am looking for help/ suggestions on what to get and maybe where. All the supplies in the world are useless if someone can lob some gas in and wait you out.

One question I have is would a full face respirator work and if so what filters? Ideally if a respirator would work I would prefer to go that route because I could really use one for work and in my home shop. What do you guys think or what do you have?

I am not starting from scratch, I didn't just wake up this morning and decide to start prepping and the first thing I need to get is a gas mask. I am just lacking in some of the "hardware" that I think will be important to have in the kit.

Last edited:
honestly for more then teargas etc I wouldn't even bother. I even have a CBR 3 L camelbag but if stuff like that is going to get used, it's already to late. I think maybe ebay or a army/navy store should have a couple of good ones and then just buy new filters for them

I am not starting from scratch. I have been preparing for years now as much as my budget allows. I didn't wake up this morning and say to myself hmmm I NEED a gas mask lol. It's just one of the things on my list of hardware that I don't know a lot about and think is a reasonably important item.

And yes you are probably in the wrong place if you are in contact with gas.

The gas mask is just one of those things that when you "need" it you need it and if you don't have it there isn't really any way to improvise one quickly.

One question I have is would a full face respirator work and if so what filters? Ideally if a respirator would work I would prefer to go that route because I could really use one for work and in my home shop. What do you guys think or what do you have?

I have and regularly use a Survivair Opti-fit for HazMat Emergency Response. Definitely recommend a full face mask since it protects your eyes, nose, and mouth. An APR is for escape / short term exposure only.

If you are looking for specifically tear gas protection, you want either organic vapor or CBRN cartridges. Organic vapor are the olive labelled cartridges, and if they have a purple HEPA filter attached it's a bonus against dust and particulates. CBRN are a bit more expensive, but they provide more universal protection against a wide array of chemical, biological, and radiation hazards.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you can find a Hazwoper Certification Course, I'd recommend it.

And yes you are probably in the wrong place if you are in contact with gas.

The gas mask is just one of those things that when you "need" it you need it and if you don't have it there isn't really any way to improvise one quickly.

Which made the scenes with homemade NBC in 10 Cloverfield Lane somewhat comedic.
OP, the gas mask is just one component in an overall NBC system, known previously as a MOPP suit, more recently as a Jlist
The masks, if military surplus, are most likely surplus for a reason. They're either old and non-functional, or stolen from inventory
The mask if used in an actual NBC environment will need frequent canister changes. The MOPP suits themselves had a limited shelf life, had to be stored a certain way, and once deployed had a limited lifespan of use.
You might want to go some general NBC knowledge acquisition, to include proper decon techniques. Knowledge wont cost you anything.
Once you start dipping into the field of actual functional NBC gear, it starts getting pricey

A full face respirator mask should be fit tested, we did that at work. I wish I'd kept it at home cause they laid me off and it would have been rather obvious if I'd snuck out with it, lol.

If they're coming to kill you in your home, they probably won't use tear gas. If they're coming to take your guns, give them up without a fight so you can live to pay them back.

If I were to purchase one it would be one of the face shield style masks, the ones with the two lenses suck when it comes to field of vision when moving or trying to do something unfamiliar with your hands.

I bought a beautiful 3M full face respirator years ago for when I painted my car... maybe $50 plus the cost of filters? Could see everything, super comfortable, made for people that wear them for their profession and the large face shield made a HUGE difference. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Seriously. Use the money for more important things.

I had to spend an annual 4-5 hours or so MOPPed up when I worked for Uncle Sugar. It taught me one thing: that under no circumstances do I feel I could fight anybody effectively in a pro-mask. Hunker down while the cloud blows over? Fine. Get a decent cheek weld and more than a 10-degree FOV? Nah.

So if you do buy one, you'd best train with it. A lot. Be that guy who shoots at the range in his mask, and BPT get mocked. But know that you'll probably never use it.

Some of the Israeli surplus masks are pretty decent. Just do your research. I doubt you'll experience anything other than teargas in a civilian incident.

This is your best bet,you can get them cheap,in new condition,and they have kid sizes.filters are easy to come by.The hard part is getting people to keep them on for a long time.They get hot some people start to panic,and try to pull them off.The best thing is start having them wear them with out the filter on that will give them a lot more air,and they can start getting use to the mask.

Not bothering with masks.

If it ever comes to them shooting teargas through our window, I'm just going out in style.

butch_cassidy_and_the_sundance_kid_end.jpg

Masks, if you fit them correctly and train with them, can keep you in the fight longer...

... at least when it's tear gas. "Go out in style... longer."

CNBC is another matter. Run, run fast...

And, just to note, if you want a truly proper seal, nearly every quality full face mask needs zero facial hair in order to pass individual fit testing. In 6 years of hazmat response, I've only seen a few people manage to pass with at most a not so epic mustache. All depends on face size and and shape there.

I'd still only use a full face respirator for escape purposes only. Cartridge performance can be random depending on gas concentration and chemicals used. So you may think, "well I have 15 minutes to rampage (because the cartridge spec sheet said so) before I have to bug out", but within 6 minutes you're starting to get breakthrough because the gas PPM is higher than tested.

Knowledge is power. Research, (a lot) and buy what seems most appropriate for what you need. Check industrial suppliers like Grainger.com for haz mat suits and gear. Expect to pay more than you planned.

Back
Top Bottom