• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

eFA10 for Antique Pre-1899 Purchase?

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
I did try searching here and other places on the Interwebs for the answer, but just want to be certain. BTW, it's amazing as a law-abiding citizen of the Commonwealth that it's this difficult to abide by the law. I'm guessing criminals don't take this much time to search the MGL.

Anyway, I recently purchased an "antique", pre-1899 rifle from another MA resident. Do I need to do an eFA-10 as the buyer?

Thank you.

Not trying to be a smartazz but there are uncounted threads covering this topic.
You could also catch a break and take LenS law seminar for cheap Karma price on Jan 6.
Or regularly at a later date but hurry because Len is escaping to NH and the seminar will be no more here in Ma.

The simple answer is the buyer is not responsible to file the EFA-10 from a FTF sale in Ma.
The antique isn't a firearm.

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

Kudos for having the cognizance to wonder and ask.
The mess of laws in the Commonwealth takes some genuine study to begin to comprehend. The class you took to get your LTC doesn't do much more than set you up to screw up.
Take LenS seminar seriously. It will help keep you from lots of legal trouble with minimal effort.

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smartazz but there are uncounted threads covering this topic.
You could also catch a break and take LenS law seminar for cheap Karma price on Jan 6.
Or regularly at a later date but hurry because Len is escaping to NH and the seminar will be no more here in Ma.

The simple answer is the buyer is not responsible to file the EFA-10 from a FTF sale in Ma.
The antique isn't a firearm.

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

Kudos for having the cognizance to wonder and ask.
The mess of laws in the Commonwealth takes some genuine study to begin to comprehend. The class you took to get your LTC doesn't do much more than set you up to screw up.
Take LenS seminar seriously. It will help keep you from lots of legal trouble with minimal effort.

Thank you for the response. As I mentioned, I did search the Mass Laws forum for "FA10 antique" first and came across three threads. One delved into whether or not something was still a non-firearm if it had been restored post-1899, one was about crossing from VT to MA, and the other did reference this MGL but it wasn't clear to me from the thread if that was related to needing an LTC to purchase in the first place or needing to file an FA-10. I always try to do my homework first, but in this case wanted to be sure. Once again, thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom