eFA-10 issue with Mac computers

Generally when I transfer a firearm via the eFA-10 website I will "print" the file and save it as a PDF. I did that today and the darn PDF file was password protected and marked (SECURED.) I sent it to the seller and he could not open it! I called the FRB and they told me it was a known bug with Apple computers and will be fixed some time in the future.

As a work-around, I have the full version of Acrobat (thank you educational discount) and seemed to be able to remove the security from the file. I have not had confirmation yet from the buyer if it worked or not.

Chris

It's not a "bug" with Apple computers, it's that the default PDF viewer, Preview, does not support viewing the write-protected Adobe PDF files. Tell the buyer that he needs to install Adobe Reader.

It's not a "bug" with Apple computers, it's that the default PDF viewer, Preview, does not support viewing the write-protected Adobe PDF files. Tell the buyer that he needs to install Adobe Reader.

The seller was trying to view the PDF on his iPhone, are you saying that the preview function on the iPhone can't read secured files?

Chris

Since iOS uses much of the same tech that is on Mac OS, I would say yes.

I confirmed what you said with Preview on the Mac, so it is an Apple bug. I was able to remove the security with Acrobat Pro and that works with Preview now.

Chris

I confirmed what you said with Preview on the Mac, so it is an Apple bug. I was able to remove the security with Acrobat Pro and that works with Preview now.

Chris

I was under the impression that it's a security thing where Adobe won't disclose whatever keys or whatnot are necessary to open the file in anything but Adobe Reader, but I may be mistaken.

there is a thread on this issue in the Mass Law section of the forums I believe. I had this problem and simply sent the file to my son's PC, he opened it and printed just fine.

What OS? I had problems with older OS 10.6.8 on a PPC machine but once I went to an Intel machine no problem. I don't think it's Adobe.

This, and then take the Mac to Starbucks and sell it to the smelliest hipster without a typewriter, because it's garbage that is only popular again because too many 20 somethings like using the same piece of shit that was given to their elementary school in the early 90's. If Netscape was still around, they'd use it.

This, and then take the Mac to Starbucks and sell it to the smelliest hipster without a typewriter, because it's garbage that is only popular again because too many 20 somethings like using the same piece of shit that was given to their elementary school in the early 90's. If Netscape was still around, they'd use it.

[rolleyes]

Adobe reader didnt work for me. I got around it by emailing the file on my iPad to a windows machine and it worked.

Or.... it's popular again because it's an extremely solid and powerful computer, and because Apple does tightly control both the OS and the hardware, they are able to reduce compatibility issues that plague a lot of other operating systems. Virtually every television and film production studio, recording studio, etc, use Macs for a reason. I work in a production facility where all the business guys use PC's, and the production guys use Macs. There's at least one problem a day around here with the folks who have Windows machines. The Mac guys have MAYBE one issue a year. So... yeah.

But back to the original issue posted here... download Acrobat Reader, open file, boom. Done.

Adobe reader didnt work for me. I got around it by emailing the file on my iPad to a windows machine and it worked.

Honestly I have no idea whether it's possible to view these PDFs on an iOS device. The advice about adobe reader applies to Macs.

Honestly I have no idea whether it's possible to view these PDFs on an iOS device. The advice about adobe reader applies to Macs.

I think as you stated earlier, the same bug in Preview on MAC applies to IOS as well. I was able to strip the security and it opens just fine on the iPhone now.

Chris

Stop crapping up the thread.

+1

I send the PDF's to my work computer and then print them to a PDF so I can view them on my imac. The "printed" PDF doesn't have the security. Not saying it's the best way to do it, but it's what I've done the few times I've used the E-system.

That's too funny. I had the same problem with my eFA-10 receipt. Just checked it with Adobe Reader and it works fine. Good to know!

+1 on installing adobe reader. I had the issue where preview said it was protected and installing reader fixed it.

As far as Macs go, They can be much more powerful that Windows. I use both and when managing UNIX/Linux boxes, MAC OSX cant be beat. (MAC OS has unix roots).

Back
Top Bottom