Edit post not working properly. Won't let me save

It worked this time, but not when I first tried. Maybe it's a time thing? Maybe I wasn't giving it enough time before I edit.

Edit edit. didn't work after about 5 minutes. I back out to my subsctiptions, then edit and it takes.

edit again

test.

test again, seems to work now

Last edited:
I love problems that fix themselves...

Edited, just to make sure that it's working!

I love problems that fix themselves...

Edited, just to make sure that it's working!

He's right, I've had that problem too. It only happens occasionally and nothing I can point to causing it. My work-around has been to copy my text, exit the thread, reopen the thread, re-edit and past everything back in and save. So far that has worked.

The only thing I can think of is a post goes beyond the 15 minute cookie timeout - there may be some issues in that situation. I'll look into it a bit and see if I can narrow it down. Any errors or anything or does it just ignore the edit?

Also, does it only do it in the quick editor, or does it do it if you click "go advanced" as well?

sHORTY, I see an auto-save when I'm composing a post. Is that a forum feature or a Firefox feature? If it's a forum feature, how could someone locate that auto-saved text to make recovery easier in the situations listed above?

sHORTY, I see an auto-save when I'm composing a post. Is that a forum feature or a Firefox feature? If it's a forum feature, how could someone locate that auto-saved text to make recovery easier in the situations listed above?

There strangely is absolutely no documentation on this feature... I found this on another forum though... :

If your browser crashes or your computer shuts down because of a power glitch or whatever, you can recover your post by simply going back to the thread you were on and clicking "Reply To Post." You will then see a notification that says "Restore Auto-Saved Content"

I'm assuming it's referring to the "Reply to Thread" to the bottom left... anyone able to test?

Just tested and there is a "restore auto-saved content" button that pops up in the lower left... it appears to work.

It's done it to me in advanced or quick.

It just ignores my "post" command and sits there forever.

That's what happens to me. I didn't think of the copy paste. I'll remember to do that if it happens again. Thanks Len.

test
test again. now it works
Thanks sHORTY

Last edited:
That's what happens to me. I didn't think of the copy paste. I'll remember to do that if it happens again. Thanks Len.

test
test again. now it works
Thanks sHORTY

I learned that the hard way after a long response was typed and lost!

It happened to me again on an edit. I went back and changed 1 word and it ignored my attempt to save it. I just refreshed the page (losing the edit), re-edited it and saved it no problem.
This works most of the time, but not 100% either.

I made it so that the auto-save happens every 30 seconds now - give that a shot in the future, it seems to work pretty well.

Call me crazy here, but I don't think that's anything that the forum is doing.

Edit: It's automatic merging of double posts. Someone got trigger happy with the post button.

I can disable it, but there would instead be multiple posts from the user.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I'll bet all of them are made using a mobile platform!

Back
Top Bottom