Dupont P-5066 Powder

duPont data, as reprinted in 1964 Handloader's Digest:

.45 ACP, 230 gr FMJ + 5.7 gr 5066 = 830 fps MAXIMUM
.300" seating depth (case length + bullet length - seating depth = OAL)

NRA Handloader's Guide, 1969 edition
data from H.P. White Laboratory

9mm P, 116 gr Norma FMJ + 4.5 gr 5066 = 1102 fps @ 30,838 psi
(Really CUP by current testing and terminology.)
1.15" OAL

I started with # 5 went to 5066 when # 5 was canceled then to 700X.I used the same loads in all but I kept the loads light I still use 700X.2.7 in 38 and 3.6 in 45 acp.

I have "come to the party" a bit late. But, better late than never[smile].

I have just finished my last caddy of 5066. It has been a wonderful target powder in the .38 Special and .45 ACP. My favorite .45 ACP load was 4.5 grs of 5066 behind a H&G #68 (now, as cast in my MiHec six cavity mould - see the Cast Boolit Forum). These days I mainly shoot my 625's with this load (at least I did until I ran out).

I am in the process of using up my years of accumulation of partial cans of powder. Next up is a partial caddy of 7625. After that I have an unopened caddy of Red Dot.

The whole idea is to reduce my inventory of different powders that really do the same thing. I am trying to put a bit of sanity back in my reloading life (good luck with that[wink]).

My experience has shown me that most powders of the correct burning range for the particular use work about the same in handguns. I have run extensive tests off sandbags with telescope sights (and Red Dots) as well as extensive Ransom Rest tests to reach this conclusion.

I expect the same excellent results in my 625's (.45 ACP) with 7625 and Red Dot as I got with Bullseye and 5066. I have seen the same thing in .38 Specials, also. "Back in the day" E.H. Harrison of the NRA did extensive machine rest tests with the .38 Special and espoused the same thing (I certainly don't put myself in HIS class, but my experience paralleled his).

Regarding powder life - if powder has been manufactured properly, then stored in a dry, cool place, there seems to be no deterioration due simply to age. My powder is stored in a climate controlled area free from light exposure or excessive heat (a dry basement is good and an unprotected, unheated, uncooled garage is not, for example).

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited:
powder

I wonder just why all the powders theres over 190 sold in this country do we need all of them.seems 20 would cover every thing and still be to much.I to have to many but I dont think I will use it all up in my life time.

I wonder just why all the powders theres over 190 sold in this country do we need all of them.seems 20 would cover every thing and still be to much.I to have to many but I dont think I will use it all up in my life time.

It's called the Free Market...the old "build a better mose trap" sort of thing...

Besides, if there were fewer powders, there'd be fewer things to argue about while waiting for your turn at the line![smile]

hahahaha

I wish there was only chocolate and vanilla flavors at the ice cream stand......

hahahaha

SUITS! One size fits all...........

Cars..... Any color you want, as long as it's BLACK.......

Back
Top Bottom