Dumb Powder Question

Note that there are several variants of Clays, of which Universal is but one. Don't mix them up!

CLAYS™ Introduced in January, 1992, CLAYS gunpowder has "taken the clay target world by storm". It is the cleanest burning , most consistent 12 ga. 7/8., 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. powder available today, the preferred choice of competitive target shooters.. The superb burning characteristics of this powder produce soft, smooth recoil and excellent patterns. These features transfer directly to handgun applications where target shooting is the main goal. 45 ACP and 38 Special are only two of the cartridges where CLAYS gunpowder provides "tack driving" target accuracy with flawless functioning. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

INTERNATIONAL CLAYS™ INTERNATIONAL CLAYS gunpowder is the second in the "CLAYS" gunpowder series of powders, bringing this technology to the 20 gauge reloader. It also works in 12 ga., 2 3/4" light, medium and heavy 1 1/8 oz. loads, and high velocity 1 oz. As with CLAYS gunpowder, clean burning and flawless functioning is the rule. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

UNIVERSAL CLAYS™ UNIVERSAL Clays gunpowder handles the broadest spectrum of cartridges for both pistol and shotgun. This is the Clays gunpowder technology designed for 28 gauge shooters. From the 25 ACP to the 44 magnum and 28 gauge to 12 gauge, UNIVERSAL CLAYS gunpowder provides outstanding performance. As with all the "CLAYS" gunpowder series powders, clean burning and uniformity are part of its attributes. Available in 1 lb., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

I've seen variations on this question several times on other gun forums. Seems inexcusable that a powder manufacturer would name their products in a manner that invites confusion.

I've seen variations on this question several times on other gun forums. Seems inexcusable that a powder manufacturer would name their products in a manner that invites confusion.

Not to mention inviting a lawsuit when the predictable "kaBoom!" occurs....

Recently I was at a very very well known gun shop and asked for Universal. The clerk said, you want clays right?

I said, no I want Universal it's different. He gave me a funny look at said, let me look and came back with the Universal and said, Look at the label it says it's clays under the universal.

The label said, Universal clays but it is not really Clays.

That's how confusing it is.

Back
Top Bottom