Duck and Cover: It's the New Survivalism

THE traditional face of survivalism is that of a shaggy loner in camouflage, holed up in a cabin in the wilderness and surrounded by cases of canned goods and ammunition.

It is not that of Barton M. Biggs, the former chief global strategist at Morgan Stanley. Yet in Mr. Biggs’s new book, “Wealth, War and Wisdom,” he says people should “assume the possibility of a breakdown of the civilized infrastructure.”

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

LINK Here for the rest of the article

Damn it, I was hoping the pacifists would simply wait for help... [thinking]

“I’m not a gun-nut, camo-wearing skinhead. I don’t even hunt or fish,” said Bill Marcom, 53, a construction executive in Dallas.

Nice... [thinking]

Great read!

This line though
“I think of survivalists as being an extreme case of preparedness,” said Ms. Vontourne, 44, “people who stockpile guns and weapons, anticipating extreme aggression.
Makes me want to puke. I wonder when exactly the term survivalist became such a bad word. As with anything in this world, a few people on the outside fringe of survivalists have turned something that we should all be doing to ensure our future a bad thing. Those of us who prepare for uncertain times, train accordingly, and learn survival techniques to keep us well, now act like most MA gun owners (don't ask, don't tell).

It's easy for ignorant people to throw around labels and stereotypes, but when (not if) the shit hits the fan, to whom will they come running for protection and food.

Nothing chaps my ass, more than people you try to talk to about prepping that have nothing more of a reply than "I'll just come to your house". I always get them with the reply "That's fine, but if you don't bring your own supplies, I won't let you in"

Nothing chaps my ass, more than people you try to talk to about prepping that have nothing more of a reply than "I'll just come to your house". I always get them with the reply "That's fine, but if you don't bring your own supplies, I won't let you in"

I try to keep a low profile with doing prep, and haven't had to answer that hypothetical quesiton - yet. We'll see what happens in the coming days. [thinking]

I can't wait until I have a home of my own and can begin making preparations. I am a survivalist and so is my GF. We aren't rambo cloth wearing freaks, we have a good head on our shoulders and realize the world we live in. She is a nurse and has enlisted herself into that disaster relief program that would provide help and medicine in case of a mass emergency. Our government plans for disaster scenerio's as well, does that make them freaks? It's part of life. Right now, I may not have enough resources to hold out in my place (college), but i know when i have a place to my own I will.

I can't wait until I have a home of my own and can begin making preparations. I am a survivalist and so is my GF. We aren't rambo cloth wearing freaks, we have a good head on our shoulders and realize the world we live in. She is a nurse and has enlisted herself into that disaster relief program that would provide help and medicine in case of a mass emergency. Our government plans for disaster scenerio's as well, does that make them freaks? It's part of life. Right now, I may not have enough resources to hold out in my place (college), but i know when i have a place to my own I will.

Any place you could stash? A good get home bag or bug out bag and a plan to get to a stash, (parents basement, storage area, etc) may be a good way to get started. You could, (and should), even cache some small caches around your area...just a thought. Hell, even buying a emergency food supply bucket from Costco would be a bonus...

I've got a few weeks worth of food stashed away (mainly used for camping). Have a first aid kit w/ lots of pain meds (fractured arm) that i never used. I need a multi-tool, magnesium firestarter, etc. I would like to have about 3-6months worth of food in storage along with a couple 55gal drum's for water storage w/ purification tablets.

You could, (and should), even cache some small caches around your area...just a thought. Hell, even buying a emergency food supply bucket from Costco would be a bonus...

Based on the virtual buzz about this product, and the lawsuit filed in 2006, this bucket appears to be "full of it". Check it out on your own.

It doesn't really bother me if people consider me a "nut" for taking basic steps to provide for my family and myself in a disaster(Man made or Natural). At the end of the day, it will be those people who are wandering around with nothing but a plastic bag with some bottles of water they looted or received from the government.[wink]

“I’m not a gun-nut, camo-wearing skinhead. I don’t even hunt or fish,” said Bill Marcom, 53, a construction executive in Dallas.

I hope the vegatables he grows in his hydroponic kit taste good. Since he'll be missing out on the meat and fish...

Ooooh, I can't wait.

Imagine me running around the woods in a loin cloth with a spear.

There, with that mental image you won't have an appetite for days, maybe even weeks!

I have just helped all of you extend your emergency food supplies.

Ooooh, I can't wait.

There, with that mental image you won't have an appetite for days, maybe even weeks!

I have just helped all of you extend your emergency food supplies.

mmm...That's weird, I now have a craving for small breakfast sausages[thinking]

Makes me want to puke. I wonder when exactly the term survivalist became such a bad word.
Sometime in the early 80's, when you had camo-wearing, white-supremacist mouth-breathers who read Soldier of Fortune moving to Idaho and building "compounds" with trailers, I'd guess. At least, that's when they started to appear on the public's radar. And, of course, that's immediately what someone thinks when they think of disaster prep. Not, say, Katrina. [rolleyes]

I don't even mention it by that name - I just say things like "well, if we have more TP, then I don't have to worry about running out on a Sunday night or something. We'll just stock more in the garage."

I'm trying to imagine you running, and I'm having a difficult time of it... [wink]

Oh, good grief... 13,000 posts???
ohlord.gif
shootme.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom