Dual citizenship, NICS, and Fed. form 4473

milktree

NES Member
I noticed today that the Federal form 4473 has a question on citizenship:

14: What is your country of citizenship? (list/check more than one, if
applicable)

[ ] United States of America [ ] Other (Specify)

I'm 2 photographs, $20, and some lameness away from getting Italian/EU
citizenship (without renouncing my US citizenship, of course) and I'm curious
what the Feds think of checking off both boxes for question 14 when doing
the NICS check.

Any real world experience with this?

You shouldn't have a problem. I know someone who was the other way (Irish/British citizenship) who became a US citizen and had no problems before or after. Well before there was a multi-day waiting period.

I am a British subject who became a US citizen (some time ago). A few years ago I applied for and received a British passport. When I applied for my LTC this spring I noted on the application that I had dual citizenship. Since receiving my LTC I have made several purchases without a problem.

I have an Irish citizenship, in addition to my U.S. citizenship.

Once I leave U.S. soil I consider myself Irish, and travel on a E.C. passport.

As a matter of policy, those of us who acquired our citizenship by way of our parents or grandparents having been from across the pond, Ireland doesn't recognize our Irish citizenship here in the U.S. I can't get arrested here and scream for the Irish Consul to show up and protect me. Once I leave the U.S. I can do it, but not here.

So I don't check the "other" box off. Like James Bulger mine is for a rainy day.Everyone loves the Irish don't you know.

That box is probably there for legal aliens who are allowed to buy guns without being a citizen, but there are some hoops to jump through and some gun shops flat out refuse to do it,

Last edited:
I have an Irish citizenship, in addition to my U.S. citizenship.

[snip]

As a matter of policy, those of us who acquired our citizenship by way of our parents or grandparents having been from across the pond, Ireland doesn't recognize our Irish citizenship here in the U.S. I can't get arrested here and scream for the Irish Consul to show up and protect me. Once I leave the U.S. I can do it, but not here.

Is that true of Japanese/Irish citizens in Japan and Brazilian/Irish in Brazil, or is the US special?

I can totally see that a dual citizen in one of his home countries would be protected/owned by the country he's in more than the one he's not.

It stems from the 1954 law that granted citizenship to the children or grandchildren of Irish citizens who left the country for various reasons, some political, some economic, sometimes because the effn British were starving us by raping our land of it's food resources and sending it off to Merry Olde England while forcing the Irish to eat grass and potatos, but I digress.

One of the conditions of the law, was that in the country of your birth, you would be considered a citizen of that nation, not an Irish citizen. I suppose I could renounce my U.S. citizenship and I'd be considered an Irishman in the Irish governments eyes while in the US.

I know that my cousin, who was born in Ireland to an Irish father and an American mother holds dual citizenship but the Irish Government would come to her aid if something went wrong while she was here visiting. There is a difference between acquiring citizenship by heritage and being born to an Irish parent.

P.S. I am told that the U.S. State Department has never been thrilled with the program that I used to acquire my citizenship.

It was fun getting all the documentation together to do it though. I had my aunt get my Grandfathers birth certificate from the local church in County Kerry, I got my grandparents wedding license at Chelsea City Hall, and all their naturalization papers, plus my dad's birth certificate, my parents wedding license, and my birth certificate.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought of renouncing or just stating that you were never a US citizen and revert back to a National of the state you live in ?

Although the federal GOV does not want their serfs to wander off the reservation thus constantly asks at just about every turn if you are a US citizen not explaining how one becomes a US citizen in reality.

IE your not a US citizen unless you declare that you are. Otherwise you would be a Citizen of the state you live in or a State National.

It stems from the 1954 law that granted citizenship to the children or grandchildren of Irish citizens who left the country for various reasons, some political, some economic, sometimes because the effn British were starving us by raping our land of it's food resources and sending it off to Merry Olde England while forcing the Irish to eat grass and potatoes, but I digress.

One of the conditions of the law, was that in the country of your birth, you would be considered a citizen of that nation, not an Irish citizen. I suppose I could renounce my U.S. citizenship and I'd be considered an Irishman in the Irish governments eyes while in the US.

I know that my cousin, who was born in Ireland to an Irish father and an American mother holds dual citizenship but the Irish Government would come to her aid if something went wrong while she was here visiting. There is a difference between acquiring citizenship by heritage and being born to an Irish parent.

P.S. I am told that the U.S. State Department has never been thrilled with the program that I used to acquire my citizenship.

It was fun getting all the documentation together to do it though. I had my aunt get my Grandfathers birth certificate from the local church in County Kerry, I got my grandparents wedding license at Chelsea City Hall, and all their naturalization papers, plus my dad's birth certificate, my parents wedding license, and my birth certificate.

Due to my employment status at my current gig, and the gig I have lined up after I retire from playing Ralph Kramden next month, I need to be a US citizen to get the security clearances to work on stuff I can't tell you about.

I love America, it is the government I am not fond of.

One of my cousins who was born and raised here just moved to Ireland to open a Karate studio. He had to marry his long time GF because she wasn't legally allowed to work over there unless she was married to an irish citizen

Back
Top Bottom